Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pain after armwrestling stupidity...:(

Ralph Palutke

Ralph Palutke

Hey guys,

i'm feeling unbelievably stupid right now. yesterday i did some armwrestling against a pretty heavy guy.  I now feel a mild sensation whenever i rotate my arm. It's not THAT bad but it definitly is a discomfort. after doing f1 for a month without any injuries i'm really disappointed about myself.

nevertheless i try to not repeat my errors and just continue to train.

i think i will take a week off and start some light stretching and rotator cuff work at the end of the week. does that sound legit?

any further suggestions?

Karri Kytömaa

Most likely it's nothing major, just bit too much stress for your muscles and tendons to take. Most important thing is to keep blood pumping through the area. Some high volume low intensity exercise, like 1kg dumbbell curls and cuban presses will do nicely. Hot/cold showers, voodoo banding, massage and soft tissue work. I think that if you manage to keep your arm(s) warm for three days, you will likely feel ready to get back to training again.

Depends of course how far you went, I remember times from teenage years when I had my arms hurting for a week after arm wrestling :D

Ralph Palutke

thy for the reply. do you think i should rest some days before i start the light work?

What really stresses me out the most is that i have to take a break from f1 because of my own stupidity... really drives me crazy right now....:(

Karri Kytömaa

Not really something I can answer, goes pretty much with knowing your body. At least start with showers and voodoo banding straight away. 

And F1 will wait, one week is really nothing. Sometimes it even does us good. Also it likely won't interfere with straight arm stuff so you just have to drop PUs and Rope climbs.

Rikke Olsen

I nearly dislocated my shoulder, arm wrestling with a guy last week. I was SO close to winning, though, it would almost have been worth it (no, not really) if he lost I9V1N8m.png

Keep it light until you don't feel any discomfort. It's probably a good idea to get the blood flowing, doing some light high rep work.

Ralph Palutke

stupid armwrestling.... this was the last time i swear it.... :)

how long should i totally rest until i can start with the light rehab work?

Joshua Naterman

You don't need total rest if you can do arm curls with light weights and no pain that you would rate as higher than a 3 out of 10 on a 0-10 pain scale.  You should start there, work up to 10 reps, and then add weight, and repeat until you can return to doing your F1 material with no pain beyond that point. I would do reverse curls, normal curls, and hammer curls. It is important to be thorough with rehab work. 

From there I would take however much time it takes to regain your pre-injury volume, and then continue as normal.

Ralph Palutke

thx josh!

I don't think it's that bad. it's getting a little bit better after the last few days with total rest. i'm going to start light work by tomorrow. I'm going to do the exercises you've suggested.

should i also do some light rotator cuff work and some light stretches?

Joshua Naterman

thx josh!

I don't think it's that bad. it's getting a little bit better after the last few days with total rest. i'm going to start light work by tomorrow. I'm going to do the exercises you've suggested.

should i also do some light rotator cuff work and some light stretches?

You should always be doing rotator cuff work. All of us, nearly every day. Does it need to be light? Well, obviously weight needs to be limited to what you can move pain free and with proper form. You will need to experiment and see what rep ranges work for you. Some people respond well to a rep range of 5, and others respond better to a larger rep range... Sometimes this is highly individual. For RC rehab, you tend to see higher reps, but for strengthening... sometimes low reps work better, sometimes high reps do. The only way to know is to find out what your body likes.

As for stretching, I would go VERY easy. I would make sure that I never feel pain, and I would treat it more as range of motion work than stretching, with the difference being that in stretching you're actually trying to get MORE flexibility and with ROM work you are using what you comfortably have that day. Kit Laughlin would refer to this as limbering. You can obviously stretch some now, but you will need to be VERY conservative in order to avoid re-injuring the area. Treat stretching like exercise.

Ralph Palutke

how do i know i can resume to f1 without risking to much?

i wanted to resume f1 on monday next week.  i've started rehab work today.

i'm doing

- hammer curls

- reverse curls

- normal curls

- forward xiaopengs

- external rotator work with dumbell

- internal rotator work with stretch band

on sunday i would have tested my current f1 movements with decreased intensity.

anything else you would suggest?

Besides josh mentioned i sould work to ten reps at the curls and then start adding weight.

how many sets should i do?