Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Gymnast's Extended Set Back Routine

zenek93

Hi all ! Actually I can do 15 pull ups, but my goal is 21. I found this routine:

The Gymnast's Extended Set Back Routine

Wide grip Pull-ups , as many reps as possible

10 seconds rest pause

Medium grip Pull-ups , as many reps as possible

10 seconds rest pause

Medium grip Chin-ups , as many reps as possible

10 seconds rest pause

Narrow grip Chin-ups

Rest 3 minutes

Repeat steps 1 to 8 twice, cry and curse me.

I have some questions:

- How many time do this routine within week ?

- Add something for other parts body ? 

Can someone experienced help me?? I have few months too make 21 pull ups, but after ireach 15 pull ups is hard now.

• 4 weeks later...

At the moment I do pull/chin ups twice a week. Pull ups on my "Back" days and Chin ups for my "Arm" days. Pull/chin ups can be done when ever you have the strength to do them.

For more strength try doing the L-sit pull/chin ups variation and add static holds at some point in the range of motion.

• Like 1

Douglas Wadle

agree with golden eagle. You will make most progress by doing harder variations, not as much by just doing more. might also consider some weighted pullups. static holds are very helpful, and harder than they sound. could also add in more plyometric versions. if you're training to failure, like it sounds, probably twice per week is all you'll be able to train.

Yaad Mohammad

agree with golden eagle. You will make most progress by doing harder variations, not as much by just doing more. might also consider some weighted pullups. static holds are very helpful, and harder than they sound. could also add in more plyometric versions. if you're training to failure, like it sounds, probably twice per week is all you'll be able to train.

I have to disagree, doing harder variation will help you, but it will definitely not be better than just doing more. I recommend you divide your max by 2 and then do 3 sets of those. Keep doing this for a week or 2, check your max again and repeat the process.

Alessandro Mainente

To have a basic conditioning of your pull strength there is no best idea of Foundation series. Those type of routines are useful when you have reached a solid foundation work.

The last time i met some national team members here in Italy , i tried one of their pull strength routine simply to feel what is a conditioning level of elite gymnast. I know now that i was not at their level by my ego was saying "no no you can do it". 

I did this routine 2-3 times a week for 2 weeks.

the result FOR MY LEVEL was inflammation of left supraspinatus and right flexors muscles of the forearms. Nothing to say probably about the utility of those routines, but actually i'm not prepared for this type of stress.

• Upvote 2

To have a basic conditioning of your pull strength there is no best idea of Foundation series. Those type of routines are useful when you have reached a solid foundation work.

The last time i met some national team members here in Italy , i tried one of their pull strength routine simply to feel what is a conditioning level of elite gymnast. I know now that i was not at their level by my ego was saying "no no you can do it". 

I did this routine 2-3 times a week for 2 weeks.

the result FOR MY LEVEL was inflammation of left supraspinatus and right flexors muscles of the forearms. Nothing to say probably about the utility of those routines, but actually i'm not prepared for this type of stress.

What was their pull strength routine?