Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Second day at Claude Victoria's - training description

Guest Ido Portal

I love how your one hand HS looks. Pretty inspirational must continue to push my hand balancing. Question is it enough of a core workout to just keep practising being tight when in HS? or should one really push core work to better hold the straight postured HS. Reason i ask is i find as my back and ABs continue to strengthen so does my HS, but i dont think i saw any actual core work on Ido's post, but i guess he does enough HS holding work so his back and ABs are constantly being worked keeping tight.

interesting point, that drinking water hurts balance. Did you experience a better balance without the water?

Guest Ido Portal

Nick, thanks for the comments.

In Equilibre, unlike in gymnastics and similar to ballet, there is no need for a strong core (extra strong) but for a coordinated core and one able to withstand low level of contraction, but for long one and steady.

It is more about awareness and steadiness than about strength.

In gymnastics the athlete is often subdued to big pressures trying to break up his core tension, and though a need in a strong core. For example 'Giants' on a high bar.

But... in a handstand there is little need for such a strong tension, especialy as you advance towards 'The Line'. It should be effortless and 'dead-balanced'.

This is why for the education of my core, I have chosen ballet, yoga and other coordinative intensive measures instead of just performing strength and conditioning for a stonger core, for which goal I would have choosen gymnastics as the best modality.

It really is amazing to see how people can easily get lost trying to find the correct way to train without proper guidance. I mean depending on your specific goals there are so many various methods of training to acheiving ones goals :shock: . Example i would not have thought of ballet an yoga as the primary education for your HS training but it does make sense the more i think about it more balance and grace rather than brute strength (not that there still isnt strength involved).

Guest Ido Portal

palmcron, I'm only experimenting with such measures as water intake management and caffeine consumption for a short while, so I stil dont have an opinion on the matter, but it does make sense.

Richard Duelley

VERY cool! :D I love hand balancing (its what got me training in the first place) and after reading your blog I spent about 30 minutes last night at the gym trying out the headstand with no arms (my neck is a bit sore today :wink: ). I defiantly think its possible for me to hold and I can really feel what I have to do in order to get a decent head balance. I got some looks from the other gymnasts but I was having an absolute blast trying out new positions both on my hands and on my head! For the past few months my hand balancing has been in maintenance mode because I am working hard to increase my basic strength, but yesterday was a good regression back to what I really enjoy doing and I hope to have the work capacity to start working my hand balancing again 2-3 times a week. I even did it after working ring strength and doing my steady state basic strength workout; I was surprised that I could actually get some decent balancing practice in after shredding myself with a demanding workout. :mrgreen:

Fun stuff . . . :D

-Ricky

What a great opportunity you have, Ido. That is phenomenal. I am sure you are learning a lot and hope you will share all you can with us.

Mikael Kristiansen

Fantastic that you share this journey of yours. I am doing handbalancing myself, and it is very cool to hear that you have the opportunity to work with such an experienced master. I hope to be able to work with such a coach sometime in the future.

For "straight" balances, as most normal 1 arm handstands are, I agree that you don´t need more than a decently stable core to hold. But if you are doing "flag" balances or "press" balances(thats what I call them at least) where your legs are hanging sideways or down, you need a lot of abdominal pressure to be able to hold the position. It is similar to a normal handstand press, except your legs are hanging down to the side, working more on your obliques than your rectus.

Hope you have a great time there!