Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COMPLETE newbie to gymnastics. Need help with stretching!

gkdmstjr

Hey guys. I am very new to gymnastics, and I want to stretch stretch stretch my legs. 

Here is where I'm at, in terms of stretching:

-can't touch my toes for more than 1 second

-can't sit upright (90 degrees) with my legs out in front, regardless of spread legs or not

As you can see, I am very inflexible; your average person. Unfortunately I have no special "equipment," siblings that can help me stretch, or friends that are willing to do so (LOL!), so I have to do this the old-fashion way.

My goal, ultimately, is for me to be in a position such as this: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8tdi1jv1q1rdntqzo1_1280.jpg (credit to whoever made this picture, I just found it on google)

As you can see, his legs are spread and are perpendicular to his body. Currently this is impossible to me and is ways ahead of what I can imagine.

I'd be more than glad to receive any tips and guidelines for stretching in order to be a more healthier and a more flexible me from the seasoned folks around here(: 

Jon Douglas

Kit's work will definitely make you flexible; MobilityWoD.com can help get up to speed if you're starting from a position of 'negative' flexibility, as you sort of sound you are :)

So if you perform some sitting pike and straddle reach forwards (trying ben and straight legs) how does that go?

FREDERIC DUPONT

:unsure: That may be a little bit ambitious to start with... :huh:

How about setting this as a first step? With the goal of putting your palms flat on the floor.

550px-Get-a-More-Flexible-Back-Step-2.jp

and that:

Stretch_1.jpg

That should not take you too long, and set you up in the right direction. :)

I would reccemond visiting kit Laughlin's forum and do some reading.

http://kitlaughlin.com/forums/index.php?/forum/4-all-topics-relating-to-stretch-therapy/

Kit's work will definitely make you flexible; MobilityWoD.com can help get up to speed if you're starting from a position of 'negative' flexibility, as you sort of sound you are :)

So if you perform some sitting pike and straddle reach forwards (trying ben and straight legs) how does that go?

:unsure: That may be a little bit ambitious to start with... :huh:

How about setting this as a first step? With the goal of putting your palms flat on the floor.

550px-Get-a-More-Flexible-Back-Step-2.jp

and that:

Stretch_1.jpg

That should not take you too long, and set you up in the right direction. :)

-To be honest, I'm not sure what I'm looking for in those websites. They seem to be very large and are somewhat intimidating to go through :/

-Well if I sit and pike, I will go to halfway between my knees and my ankles. I sit and pike everyday but there seems to be no progression..

-For the sit+spread legs stretch, I can't sit upright and my hands go to my knees. Will the stretch still be effective?

It will come, little by little :)

Hmm, how many seconds each hold and how many times do you recommend for the stretches in the pictures provided? I'm starting to see some hope :D

Vincent Stoyas

Kit Laughlin has an excellent book and so does Thomas Kurz. Kit recommends one serious stretching day, with pnf stretching, once a week and then the rest of the days are just used for normal limbering.

Connor Davies

Hmm, how many seconds each hold and how many times do you recommend for the stretches in the pictures provided? I'm starting to see some hope :D

I think general advice for stretching is 20-60 seconds.  I found a great help for my standing pike stretch was to have slightly bent knees, so I could feel the stretch in the muscles a lot better.

Michael Blythe

-To be honest, I'm not sure what I'm looking for in those websites. They seem to be very large and are somewhat intimidating to go through :/

-Well if I sit and pike, I will go to halfway between my knees and my ankles. I sit and pike everyday but there seems to be no progression..

-For the sit+spread legs stretch, I can't sit upright and my hands go to my knees. Will the stretch still be effective?

I agree with you,You should start by read this post it's a very well written explanation of what stretching is .

http://kitlaughlin.com/forums/index.php?/topic/215-limbering-mobility-and-stretching-what-do-these-terms-mean-how-to-best-use/

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

From where you are at, consistency and frequency are surely more important than how long.

- Every day a little bit(*) 3 times a day, 5 times on Sunday(**); easy peasy without forcing beyond your un-comfort zone - do that for a month.

- during that time, read and learn about stretching and flexibility, buy a book (suggestions above), read the BtGB forum, visit kit's website & watch his videos.

That should put you on your way. :)

(*) 2 minutes each time (?) - more if you have time, less if you are in a rush, but still do it 3 times a day.

(**) that's 100 sessions this first month! :blink:

From where you are at, consistency and frequency are surely more important than how long.

- Every day a little bit(*) 3 times a day, 5 times on Sunday(**); easy peasy without forcing beyond your un-comfort zone - do that for a month.

- during that time, read and learn about stretching and flexibility, buy a book (suggestions above), read the BtGB forum, visit kit's website & watch his videos.

That should put you on your way. :)

(*) 2 minutes each time (?) - more if you have time, less if you are in a rush, but still do it 3 times a day.

(**) that's 100 sessions this first month! :blink:

WOW! Thanks, this was exactly what i needed :P

but, when I do the spread leg stretch, is it normal for my stomach/back to feel tension?

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) when I do the spread leg stretch, is it normal for my stomach/back to feel tension?

Very welcome :)

Probably yes, just don't overdo it: go to the edge of your un-comfort zone, then come back and do it again two or three times, without forcing; this tension should ease up from session to session, little by little.

George Vere

What's your strength level like?

When I first started, I did leg curls (on a machine :facepalm:, before I found GST). My pike flexibility - well, I couldn't touch my toes. After a few weeks of strengthening my hamstrings I could easily touch my toes. It's a point to consider - a well rounded program gives the best results.

FREDERIC DUPONT

When I first started, I did leg curls (on a machine :facepalm:, before I found GST). My pike flexibility - well, I couldn't touch my toes. After a few weeks of strengthening my hamstrings I could easily touch my toes. It's a point to consider - a well rounded program gives the best results.

Good point; weak muscles are sometimes more adverse to stretching :)

Good point; weak muscles are sometimes more adverse to stretching :)

Well, to describe my body: I grew 30cm in height in the last two years. Don't work out my legs whatsoever, actually, I don't work out at all as I believe I'm still growing. (Although Im 6'1'', to think that I'm still that age to grow taller... wowza @_@)

So yeah, fresh, no muscle legs. For me, what would be better? Strengthening muscles or stretching?

Quick Start Test Smith

I think it was already mentioned, but Kit Laughlin's book "Stretching and Flexibility" is just about the best book on the subject. It's the only thing that let me restore 90-100% of my kicking ROM in a week and half and remove a lot of my hip impingement. Foundation + Stretching and Flexibility = the body of a GOD.

EDIT:

Also, if you're stretching properly you will be strengthening AND lengthening your muscles. Often at the same time. ;)

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

I think it was already mentioned, but Kit Laughlin's book "Stretching and Flexibility" is just about the best book on the subject. It's the only thing that let me restore 90-100% of my kicking ROM in a week and half and remove a lot of my hip impingement. Foundation + Stretching and Flexibility = the body of a GOD.

EDIT:

Also, if you're stretching properly you will be strengthening AND stretching your muscles. Often at the same time. ;)

I haven't been formally stretching since starting Foundation, but so far with including the hip flexor stuff and rolling has been enough for me to maintain and strengthen the ROM i had previous to training. 

I can still touch my knees without warming up with my forehead but now that i don't find that as impressive anymore, i would like to actually focus on making my chest touch my thighs. 

• 2 weeks later...
Sailor Venus

Relax into Stretch is damn fine book too.

PNF is useful too - spam it on every tight muscle.

...perhaps your body isn't used to stretching yet which is why you struggle with basics. I assume you have limited experience stretching before discovering this forum.

The only equipment you need is weights. I use dumbbells to apply more pressure on what I want to stretch rather than lifting them.

Connor Davies

Relax into Stretch is damn fine book too.

I picked that up a year ago but pretty much dismissed it.  Maybe I should re-visit it...

Graham Smith

EDIT:

Also, if you're stretching properly you will be strengthening AND lengthening your muscles. Often at the same time. ;)

Patrick, I've been going through S&F myself, and agree that it's a great book, but there is so much in it I find it hard to make a routine  what exercises do you do out of it in particular?

Patrick, I've been going through S&F myself, and agree that it's a great book, but there is so much in it I find it hard to make a routine  what exercises do you do out of it in particular?

I have read both SR and Relax into stretching. The latter is simplier, easier to understand. I became familiar with RiS and practiced it for a while. It works well for me, but SR helped me to loosen up my tight neck and upper back.

In my opinion begin with RiS, practice it, later spread your knowledge with the more detailed and sophisticated SR.

Quick Start Test Smith

I picked that up a year ago but pretty much dismissed it.  Maybe I should re-visit it...

It's an OK book, but definitely nowhere near Stretching and Flexibility.

George Vere

I got Stretching and Flexibility, and Overcome neck and back pain yesterday, and I'm really impressed. Two excellent books! I registered on the forum, and had to send a validation email - Kit told me to get the DVD updates for both the books, Luckily they ship from Australia, so I'll be getting them as soon as I can. Gotta get the money to build my stall bars and a heavy bag first :)

They are very comprehensive - not like the plug and play of foundation for example, they are requiring a closer reading. Yes, I agree, it's not so easy to put a routine together. But some reading around generally is making it clearer - this is very good

http://kitlaughlin.com/forums/index.php?/topic/215-limbering-mobility-and-stretching-what-do-these-terms-mean-how-to-best-use/

Quick Start Test Smith

I'm busy right now, Primate, but I will look through it and get the exercise/stretch numbers plus page numbers for you. Programming is also something I found a little bit lacking in S&F.

I have read both SR and Relax into stretching. The latter is simplier, easier to understand. I became familiar with RiS and practiced it for a while. It works well for me, but SR helped me to loosen up my tight neck and upper back.

In my opinion begin with RiS, practice it, later spread your knowledge with the more detailed and sophisticated SR.

The latter is simpler and easier to understand (than S&F, not sure what you are referring to by SR) which is good, but on the flip side it is less educational and precise. I think RiS gives people new to C&R stretching a somewhat wrong impression of what stretching should feel like as well. RiS has some good stretches in there and is not the worst choice to be made if you have a very tight budget, but S&F is a lifetime investment for your entire body.

I personally feel that Kit Laughlin's approach to flexibility is unique as well as unrivaled in actual knowledge of human anatomy. I realize I just sound like a huge fanboy now, but I don't care xD

• Upvote 1