Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Warm-up for WOD

Alexander Kornishev

Alexander Kornishev

Hi! I am not sure if it was already covered before (apologies if it was). I was reading Ido's blog today ( really enjoyed it BTW, I am Ido's fan now) and he had very good things to say about warm-up Coach Sommer using with his athletes. Was there anything posted with regards to what we should do for warm-up? Will it be covered in future books? What would be a good warm-up to do in the meantime for someone following Gymnastic Bodies WOD? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi RF,

On a very basic level I believe that many people warm up with cardio until a light sweat is developed (jogging variations for example) followed by dynamic stretching. When it comes to weight lifting many people use light weights and work their way up to their "work set" weight. I don't know if this type of preparation translates to bodyweight by doing a few easy progressions first for instance.

As far as I know Coach is releasing a book called Liquid Steel™ which covers his joint prep and there is also going to be active flexibility covered I think.

Hope this helps,

Rob.

Alexander Kornishev

Thanks gymrob! I just thought it would be good to have an "official gymnastic bodies warm-up" Coach Sommer approved :D

yeah, I am currently just doing some BW exercises plus a bit of dynamic flexibility plus Wrists complex which someone posted a long time ago and Coach left good comments about.

After one of the recent WOD I felt strong pain in my shoulder joints which disappeared next day, I think it was due to not enough warm-up. I will have to be more careful and include more stuff like skin the cat, HS, etc...

The way I have been doing it is this:

Dynamic warm-up

followed by...

A few rounds of easier variations that are present in the WOD.

So, for example, if one of the exercises that I'm doing is bulgarian dips, I will do jumping dips, negative dips, and then regular dips for 10, 8, 6.