Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

bang for buck exercises

Justin Andzel

Justin Andzel

If you could only chose several gymnastics exercises to focus on to build a strong and athletic body  what would they be and why?

Straddle Planche, Front Lever, Rope Climb, Hollowback Press, Manna, Side Lever, Single-Leg Squat, Handstand.

• Upvote 6

Jon Douglas

Straddle Planche, Front Lever, Rope Climb, Hollowback Press, Manna, Side Lever, Single-Leg Squat, Handstand.

Beat me to it :-)

• Upvote 1

well, he also said "and why?"

I really don't know why side lever is incorporated instead of back lever in F1 though

Daniel Burnham

I really don't know why side lever is incorporated instead of back lever in F1 though

These exercises and provide a well rounded strength regimen.  Though I still think my selection is better because those two are the most important and concise exercises with the most benefit.

Also it becomes obvious why Back lever is not included in F1  when you really think about what the back lever conditions and read about the problems people had by not being prepared for it. 

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

Best guess is that you'll get a back lever on the way to a side lever. :)

• Upvote 1

Isn't that more than several? lol

Mats Trane

A couple of years back there was a topic the Coach had written that was called something like " if I had to choose 5 GST exercises". Can't find it now but the exercises were:

Hsp

RC

Press to handstand

Limbers

Ring series

• Upvote 2

Connor Davies

Planche and Front Lever pair well in terms of maximal static strength.

Manna and Back Limber pair well in terms of flexibility and core strength.

Press to Handstand and Rope Climb, because one of them is super badass and the other is super functional.

HS Wall Runs, just to build up endurance in the shoulders.

Handstands and Single Leg Squats, because to me they both seem to be signifiers of true body awareness and athletic ability.

coaches old wrist prep series, because it would build great stability in the wrists.

Butterfly pulls and Pelicans, because I would amaze everyone.

Rto Dips and Back Lever Curls, because I hate my biceps tendon.

There's so many more I want to include.  You can't just pick a few and focus on them.  This is progressive calisthenics.  You need to master each exercise just to get to harder ones.

• Upvote 1

David McManamon

Daniel's answer is great, press handstand and rope climb.  To expand on the why, you have a great push exercise, a great pulling exercise and will develop SAS & bent arm strength and the desired chicken legs that are good for still rings if that is your goal.

Daniel could added sprinting and jumping and standing back flips.

I really don't know why side lever is incorporated instead of back lever in F1 though "

BL is probably going to end up showing it's face in Ring Strength. He's talked about that for a few years besides FL before BL.

David McManamon

I'm not familiar with F1 and this has nothing to do with the original post, but back lever is not recommended for beginners because you will just destroy your shoulder muscles.  Contrast BL & FL - stress in FL lands mostly on the lats & abs, failure of either is unlikely to lead to injury.  BL stress hits the front deltoid heavily (locked arm with potentially the entire body as leverage) which is fine for gymnasts and way too much for sedentary gamers.  Re-stated, BL training requires body awareness, FL does not.

• Upvote 1

A back lever has less stress on the anterior deltoids than planches. I think the reason BL is not included in F1 is because of the stress on the inner elbows and biceps tendon when done with a supinated grip. That's why fingers back planche and planche leans are not recommended in the Foundation series. I remember Coach Sommer doesn't see any use in the BL with pronated grip.

You are also incorrect that FL doesn't require body awareness. All these gymnastics lever statics require body awareness.

• Upvote 2

Connor Davies

The problem with the back lever is one of leverage.  If you hit failure in a front lever, you fall into a dead hang.  If you hit failure in a back lever, you fall into a german hang, and if you're already overstressing your shoulders, this will cause problems.  Also most people aren't very strong behind the neck, which is why most people don't recommend a full ROM in dips.  They (back levers) need to be programmed very carefully if you want to avoid injury, and most people don't know how to listen to their bodies.  With say, planche, either you have the strength or you don't.  With back lever, the ratio of tendon strength required vs muscular strength required gets all screwed, so you feel stronger than you really are, and you quickly hurt yourself.

And B1214N, you are correct.  Back lever actually stresses the biceps tendon more than planche does.

In the grand scheme of things, the greatest set of exercises I could build my workout around would be:

Inverted Muscle Up. Iron Cross Pulls

Planche Pushups. Bowers

Front Lever Rows. 360° Pulls

Rope Climb: Cirques/Chameleons

Manna

Haha, that's dreaming for you :)

I suppose by the time we get far in the Foundation series, BL in some degree of progression will be attainable to us

And B1214N, you are correct.  Back lever actually stresses the biceps tendon more than planche does.

That's true if we are comparing a supinated grip BL to a planche with fingers forward or sideways. If we compare a supinated grip BL and a planche with the fingers pointing back, then the planche stresses the biceps tendon more.