Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Side Lever Variations

Brian Li

I got some questions regarding the different variations of side levers.

Which side lever variation is hardest? The normal human flag or the spear flag (sideways maltese) or the sideways back lever? Is there also a sideways front lever? Also, is a shoulder width side lever harder than a super wide grip side lever?

I know the normal side lever (human flag with 2X shoulder width grip) can be easily attained without much if any specific training if you have strong pressing strength and some pulling strength, but what about the other variations like the spear flag, shoulder width side lever, etc.? Is there another way to work up to a shoulder width grip side lever other than progressively narrowing the grip over time?

I've only done the normal side lever in the past, but seeing all these other variations over time got me more interested in the different variations of side levers and I'd figured some of you guys here might know more about them.

The Victorian Flag is pretty much the same thing as the Spear Flag or a sideways back lever with a wide grip. It certainly looks much harder than a normal side lever. 

What about these variations:

408220_525995797459354_1514478868_n.jpg

This one looks easier than the others because some of the arms and shoulders are supported by the bar, but I'm not sure if it actually is. I'll have to try this one out next time.

397689_461873423871592_152772374_n.jpg

This one looks very cool, but I think it's easier than a narrow grip human flag. I'm pretty sure I can do this one without much difficulty back then when I had my sideways OAFL because it looks like an assisted sideways OAFL or an assisted flag.

482875_10200689259055167_1383024836_n.jp

This side lever variation is basically an assisted flag (the ones hand balancers do on the ground). It looks like a good way to work up to it.