Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Introduction

RednBlack

Hi. I have been lifting weights for 6 months. My progress slowed down and my membership ran out, so I decided to try bodyweight training. It looked like I could get a lot of strength gains from it and I could do it at home. I was very surprised at first at how hard it was. I felt like my 6 months of lifting has done nothing to prepare me for some of these movements. After a few weeks, my shoulders have become stronger than ever, and feels like they will keep getting stronger. 

A problem I encountered are my wrists. They are always painful after handstands and frog sits. I was hoping this would get better as time went on, but they still hurt quite a bit. My right wrist is worse since I had a minor injury a few years ago. Is this something everyone experiences?

Timothy Aiken

First of all, welcome! This community is awesome.

It would really depend on the type of pain you are feeling. How long have you been doing body weight exercises? If it's soreness then that is fine, but if you are having sharp pain then you need to do two things. You're gonna need to back off of exercises where you place your entire weight on your hands. Second of all, you are going to need to warm up better before you do any exercise in which you place weight on your wrist. There are many wrist warm ups you can find online. I currently do the wrist stretches provided in Handstand One, but before that I did the stretches in this video and those worked pretty well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubySeJ3BnvI

Something you will encounter a lot here is marketing. You should get Foundation. You say your shoulders feel strong now? Foundation will strengthen them beyond belief, in a steady and safe manner. I did a five minute plank today for fun and am making progress on everything I currently train. It's worth the money, get it :D You joints will thank you. So will your bank account, considering x-rays cost more than F1 :)

P.S This is also the response I would give to your front lever post. Back off to less stressful progressions. Foundation has nice progressions :) There are plenty of mobility exercises provided within that course for your shoulders! But if F1 isn't feasible now, just back off the FL work and do row variations to build up your shoulders.

• Upvote 1