Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I need some tips for my routine

jakralj

I am building myself a routine that would suit me best. As you know, not everybody responds the same way on some routines, so I decided to make myself a perfect one. I want to build my strength for the following exercises: front lever, planche, hollowback press, one arm chinup, v-sit, human flag(side lever), and single leg squat.

So these are my questions:

-how long should I rest between sets - would it be better with short rests(15-30s) or the bigger ones(up to 2 min)

-while resting between sets, should I simply walk around and wait, or maybe do some light stretching of the worked muscles

-how to overload correctly(when to add new sets, when  to add more reps etc.)

-how to make sure I dont exercise too much, or too little

I am planning to work out 4 days a week, 2 times a week I would work on FL, planche, OAC, and HBP. and the other two days I would work v-sit, flag, and single leg squat.

When I finish building my routine, I will post it here and tell you my results.

Connor Davies

I know everyone's probably sick of hearing this, but buy F1.

Foundation will take you to mastery of all your goals, and beyond in some cases.  The only one missing is OAC but I'm pretty sure you'd be able to complete several reps after finishing F4.

Jean-Rene Losier

dude, your goals, and even your split is the same split as the one in Foundation series, just get yourself Foundations and you'll have the perfect map all laid out for you instead of wasting time going about guessing what needs to be done.

FREDERIC DUPONT
(...)

When I finish building my routine, I will post it here and tell you my results.

It took Coach 40 years to build Foundation... how long do you think you'll need to build a routine that comes close? :)

• Upvote 1

David McManamon

Myth #1: "The perfect routine"? Train consistently for several years and find a way to reach your goals - you, your body and your routine will always be evolving.

1. Rest between sets depends a lot on how much endurance you want to build.  Get a timer and don't let it pass 3 minutes of rest.  Push yourself to perform at a high level while fatigued, your body can do it.
  2. Rest time means stretch, especially if your goals involve elements that require flexibility like press handstands.
  3. I'm not sure but the only way I have found out what is "too much" is to surpass your work capacity in a series of workouts and realize you need to back off.  

Have fun.  OAC is a great move as are the others, I always smile when I see certain moves executed well.

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

OAC is a great move

No doubt.  But I'm of the mind that some variations of rope climb are actually even harder....

No doubt.  But I'm of the mind that some variations of rope climb are actually even harder....

Unless it's a full, dead hang OAC/OAP for each climb of the rope, I don't think so.

Connor Davies

Unless it's a full, dead hang OAC/OAP for each climb of the rope, I don't think so.

Well there's a more difficult grip element for starters.  Then there's upside down climbing, which I can imagine would be similar to a full bodyweight curl.  Then there's the front lever climb on two ropes, which I hearing someone on the forum did at one of the seminars....

Jon Douglas

Well there's a more difficult grip element for starters.  Then there's upside down climbing, which I can imagine would be similar to a full bodyweight curl.  Then there's the front lever climb on two ropes, which I hearing someone on the forum did at one of the seminars....

Apparently Dillon did. Awesome. I'd like to see someone doing one rope in FL, ideally with body switching sides for each arm. There's a worthwhile long term goal...

Upside down I've never seen done strictly. Anyone got a video link?

I've seen a FL rope climb in person before. :P I do not know if it's harder than an OAP. The guy doing it also did some dead hang OAPs on the same day. The order of difficulty between the two would ultimately come down to which one he trains the most.

Whilst impressive in its own right, I don't think it can be compared to a OAC/OAP since it is a different plane of motion. That would be like comparing HSPUs to PL PUs.

David McManamon

Actually I have always wanted to see the OAC used to climb a rope, maybe with the other arm tied behind your back.

The upside down rope climb without legs is actually more similar to an inverted pull-up than an inverted curl actually. There is a big difference in difficulty between the two and the inverted curl is much harder due to being more of an isolation exercise for the biceps whereas in an inverted pull-up it is a compound movement with the involvement of stronger muscles like the rear delts and lats. 

Actually I have always wanted to see the OAC used to climb a rope, maybe with the other arm tied behind your back.

I think there is a video of Cisco doing it on his channel: ableteam.

" Upside down climbing, which I can imagine would be similar to a full bodyweight curl."

Inverted climbing is more of a party trick. It's neat, it's fun, it's not really easy. Doing it upside down straddle-L is a careful balance and doing the "Chameleons" is more trick of coordinating the hands and feet.

It's not one of those cirques though. I guess in theory someone could do it in candlestick and that would be insane. Climbing in FL is probably tougher. 

• 3 weeks later...
Connor Davies

F1 (through to F4) is one of the best strength programs I have ever seen, progressing through 7 elements in a systematic and complete manner like nothing else out there.

Second that.  The more time I spend with it, the more it seems like a work of pure genius.