Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can straight arm movements like this build muscle?

Shia

Joshua Slocum

That's called a straddle press handstand. It's good work for the upper back, shoulders, and hip flexors.

Daniel Burnham

The first one is a rolling stalder press handstand with a negative which just means you go from a straddle L to a straddle press handstand as Josh said.   It is actually considered a fairly simple skill in gymnastics and should be worked once you get a solid handstand.  Press handstands are straight arm strength but i generally put them in a category of their own and train them with handstands

Mine isn't quite perfect yet but is getting much closer.

The elements that come after are mostly bent arm skills actually and are basically variations of the hollow back press.  Even though both go to handstand the strength required is actually quite a bit different.

• 4 months later...

That's called a straddle press handstand. It's good work for the upper back, shoulders, and hip flexors.

The first one is a rolling stalder press handstand with a negative which just means you go from a straddle L to a straddle press handstand as Josh said.   It is actually considered a fairly simple skill in gymnastics and should be worked once you get a solid handstand.  Press handstands are straight arm strength but i generally put them in a category of their own and train them with handstands

Mine isn't quite perfect yet but is getting much closer.

The elements that come after are mostly bent arm skills actually and are basically variations of the hollow back press.  Even though both go to handstand the strength required is actually quite a bit different.

So you think skills like straight arm handstand presses are a dcent workout for the shoulders? I have switched from bodybuilding to gymnastics and dont want my shoulders tp get smaller when I stop the dumbell work and focus on handstands