Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unproportional biceps from bodyweight training

Spex

I'm not really as interested in aesthetics as I am interested in attaining new skills, but recently I (as well as others) have been noticing that my arms are getting unproportionally big compared to my torso. I've been wondering if this is a result of my bodyweight training being too back oriented.

For BW training, I regularly train OACs, pullups, full BL holds, full FL holds, freestanding HS, and PPPUs. I also do a lot of weight training (bench, OHP, squat + accesorry work) but I never rarely directly target my arms. I noticed that my BW training is very back/bicep heavy and the only thing I do for chest is PPPU, I'm not really close to getting a tuck planche and I've kinda been lazy about training it (the reason is that it's very hard for me to even hold a L-sit on the floor for some reason, though while hanging I can go up into an inverted hang via FL or hanging-L with no problems.)

Can anyone give me some feedback on this, and any tips to get better on my floor L-sit/tuck planche?

Karri Kytömaa

You are simply lacking in compression/depression strength. Best route of action is to follow Foundation program so you will never have that kind of holes later on.

That aside, you really should work on HS a lot and dips at least at times. 

• Upvote 1

Travis Widmann

Compression is the ability to actively bring your legs to your torso. An L-sit requires some compression, a V-sit requires more. Depression refers to actively pushing your scapulae down. Elevation is the opposite, raising them up toward the ear as in a handstand. Protraction is pushing them forward. Retraction is squeezing them back and pinching them together.

So in an L-sit you want to depress them as much as you can to raise yourself off the ground. In a tuck planche you want to protract and depress your scapula as powerfully as you can by really pushing your arms into the ground. Imagine trying to squeeze the floor together with your hands.

• Upvote 3

Thanks, I guess I need bring up my depression strength. Other than just trying L-sit static holds, do you know any assistance exercises I can do with weights to increase my depression strength?

Travis Widmann

I don't know anything that involves weights. I'm sure there are possibilities there but it just seems easier to use your own body. If L-sits are giving you a hard time you might try tuck holds instead. Have you ever tried scapular pushups? It's definitely worthwhile to get friendly with those. You should probably try planche leans and focus on protraction and depression.

As to your first question, I don't know what your weight training looks like, but based on the other information it seems like you're not giving pressing movements equal time. Like Flameous said, at least throw some dips in there.

Anyway, I'll beat the dead horse: if you follow Foundation all this and more will be taken care of. It covers everything, especially the things you didn't think you needed.

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

A good exercise to bring up depression strength is to shrug in a support hold.  Really focus on full ROM.