Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Active vs passive (dynamic vs passive flexibility)?

Dylan Chad Treger

Dylan Chad Treger

Hey guys. Please take your time to help answer this question only if you have true experience and knowledge about the subject :) This is regarding different methods to achieving flexibility. Which would you consider the most effective to gaining more flexibility overall in the body? What training method should be taken? Lastly, what are your thoughts regarding the stetching method where one alternates between tensing the muscle while in the stretch then relaxing the muscle? I appreciate your help!

Daniel Burnham

Well you are confusing terms here.  So first some quick definitions:

Flexibility - The ability for the body to get into positions at the end of the range of motion either by any means including force.  The more flexibility the larger the ROM.

Active Flexibility - ability for you to get into the aforementioned Range without the need of external force.  This uses only the muscles that would be controlling that ROM.

Passive and Dynamic are methods of stretching to obtain flexibility.

Passive uses holds at the end of the ROM

Dynamic moves in and out of the end of ROM

You should first focus on increasing ROM and then gaining active strength in it.  Dynamic stretching in my experience is good for warmup.

The contract and release is used by Kit Laughlin who is a member of this forum and teaches modules that the GB seminars.   Its basically PNF stretching.  His particular protocol has had very impressive results.  You can generally increase ROM dramatically in the first couple of sessions.

I still think there is a place for long passive holds and have found them to be very useful after using the contract release cycles to increase my flexibility.  

If you want more information you should probably buy Kit's book.  It is the best resource I have seen on improving flexibility.

• Upvote 1

Dylan Chad Treger

I appreciate your help, Daniel. Thanks for clearing up some point of confusion for me. I will incorporate more passive stretching as well as PNF stretching into my routine. I'll definitely check out Kit's book. :)

Dylan Chad Treger

From reading about his book, I see that Kit gives a long list of stretches. How am I supposed to implement these? Should I pick and choose? Does he give a specific routine or course?

Joshua Slocum

The stretches are presented as a series of 'lessons'.

My recommendation would be go to through each lesson, and make note of which stretches seem most effective for you, and which areas seem the tightest. 

Then select a handful of the best stretches for your tightest areas and put those into your weekly routine. Each week you can also choose a sampling of the other available stretches to add in for variety.

The book contains more detailed advice on constructing a routine. 

• Upvote 1