Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Old AC separation, new training regime-what is "safe"?

GeoffeyLevens

GeoffeyLevens

Had AC separation in 80's. I think Grade 2, big springy lump of tip of clav but no other tears etc.  No surgery just rested/iced etc.  Over the years the bump has diminished and is now maybe 1/16 or less inch and pressure does not show (to me) increaed loosness over other AC joint.

When injury occured I was told to never ever do dips and some other exercises I do not remember exactly what.  Have recently started a training routine that indludes working up to front and back lever holds, L-sits, handstand push-ups, etc.  Is it safe to just go by lack of pain as safety marker or am I setting myself up for arthritic grief or some such w/ certain movements and holds?

Any tips greatly appreciated!  (I am 63 if that makes any difference though not sure why it should other than that my recovery time is clearly a bit longer than it was when I was 20 HAH!)

Keilani Gutierrez

this goes without saying, if your primary goal is shoulder health, my shoulder has been doing a lot better since my separation (when i was 15, i was still growing) due to the nature of Handstands One work, the beginning portion is related to shoulder girdle integrated mobility. I have a huge wad of scar tissue still and i can feel it every time i do Wall extensions, overhead shoulder flexions and dislocates. 

it's kind of annoying, but its what i have to deal with, right? 

as of beginning work in the H1 program, it's substantially gone down and shoulder mobility and scapular mobility has improved drastically. 

if you're serious about doing this once and for all, hit up the H1 program. if not, you'll probably want to invest in other materials, but since the only one I own is H1, i can't be of much help to you there. 

visiting a massage therapist that specializes in myofascial release or sports medicine, will be something else you want to do. 

also, get your neck moving while shoulders are depressed can help with the pressure accumulating in the neck region. unless of course, you don't have a stiff neck due to this injury which was the case for me. (been dealing with neck spasms since i was 19 and since undergoing H1 work and proper hydration, i no longer have to suffer that)

as for training, i wouldn't be qualified to help you there, but i can tell you from personal experience that you should not to any exercises where you aren't conscious of your necks position to strain it. again, this was in my case and perhaps not yours, but it is something to note. a neutral neck throughout is good in certain exercises.

you can endure this. 

i pray for your speedy recovery :)

GeoffeyLevens

Thanks Keilani!  It has been so long, with years of surfing, martial arts, etc between that the only issues I really have now are very very mild subscapularis tendonitis on both sides that has not responed to ANY treatment including vitamin B-12 infusion into the space.  That does aggravate if I'm not careful to keep shoulders "packed" and joint socketed.  Neck seems to be pretty much fine except for my tendency to "lead with my chin" when working really hard on some movements. That of course can give me mild "whiplash" symptoms for a day or two but otherwise, no noticealble isses.

My real concern is inadvertantly doing some sort of repetative stress injury to cartilage (or whatever is left of it) or rotator cuff muscles. I got ferocious and long lasting pain and inflammation in the shoulder at issue, radiating down arm, about 4 years ago from doing kettlebell snatches.  That has been resolved completely.  The subscap tendonitis thing just lingers and truth be told I think it is really a symtpm of some deeper metabolic issue, somewhat similar to how things "resonate" in the Touch For Health chiropractic/kineseology system.

Advice on these kind of injuries has change a lot since the 80's.

In general dips etc will be possible, but it's prudent to ease into them and work the ROM gradually as well. You didn't mention what program you are following, but I hope it's starting from ground level and taking a good deal of time to build those elements.

Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out to you that Coach Sommer's Foundation One would be the ideal starting point for the reasons I mention above.

GeoffeyLevens

Advice on these kind of injuries has change a lot since the 80's.

In general dips etc will be possible, but it's prudent to ease into them and work the ROM gradually as well. You didn't mention what program you are following, but I hope it's starting from ground level and taking a good deal of time to build those elements.

Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out to you that Coach Sommer's Foundation One would be the ideal starting point for the reasons I mention above.

Thanks Cole, appeciate the tip on Coach's book. It is definitely on my short list but finances and time constraints are putting it off fo now. I am starting slowly for sure and working on building enough strength and mobility to do perfect versions of easiest progression steps I can find.  So far seems to be working well.

i have suspected what you point out about recommendations changing.  Just being extra cautious. Even though I plan to be very very active for another 20-30 years, I have noticed that I have a more long range view of things and don't want to burn out any parts before the "end".  I've seen too many disasters over the years. My goal is to have it all break and once, and O.U.T. at the end