Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pike / straddle flexibility

gravy

I can get a decent amount of compression when I PNF in pike and straddle.

However, when I try to do pike or straddle compressions, my active flexibility is terrible. I end up leaning back ilke 5-10 degrees in order to lift my legs off the floor, and my legs cramp a bit (especially in straddle). I have to will my hips really hard in order to do the exercise.

I have been reading Kit L's book, and correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't believe he really covers active flexibility. I have been making significant gains in passive flexibility, but I believe that I seriously need to increase my active flexibility.

I am under the impression that I should do active flexibility exercises prior to PNF. Therefore I should do the pike/straddle compressions before PNF stretching. I am wondering how many sets and reps I should do to get the most out of the compression exercises. If no one wants to give me the exact numbers, could I at least get pointed in the right direction (books, links, etc.)? Does F1 contain programming/technique for active compression? Should I start doing kicks for active flexibility?

Keilani Gutierrez

I can get a decent amount of compression when I PNF in pike and straddle.

However, when I try to do pike or straddle compressions, my active flexibility is terrible. I end up leaning back ilke 5-10 degrees in order to lift my legs off the floor, and my legs cramp a bit (especially in straddle). I have to will my hips really hard in order to do the exercise.

I have been reading Kit L's book, and correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't believe he really covers active flexibility. I have been making significant gains in passive flexibility, but I believe that I seriously need to increase my active flexibility.

I am under the impression that I should do active flexibility exercises prior to PNF. Therefore I should do the pike/straddle compressions before PNF stretching. I am wondering how many sets and reps I should do to get the most out of the compression exercises. If no one wants to give me the exact numbers, could I at least get pointed in the right direction (books, links, etc.)? Does F1 contain programming/technique for active compression? Should I start doing kicks for active flexibility?

I have a similar issue, though it is being worked on as of january/feb, Kit's material is -awesome- and yes, he does cover both active and passive flexibility, you just need to know the methodology. for example, you can either "pull" yourself into a pike or you can "press" yourself into the pike. a pull, would be using your hip flexors and a press would be just trying to mash yourself into the shape by any means (pulling on your feet vs compressing)

though something that confuses me is if you're able to compress yourself into a pike, why can't you actively get yourself into that position? are you refering that you cannot do the leg lifting portion or if you're sitting down you can't get yourself down into the pike? because the answer to the former would be that since you're hitting the compression/stretch from a different angle, it will be slightly more challenging, as you've experienced. 

in the F1 program, as active compression, there's the Manna progressions which is paired with an integrated mobility that develops the Gymnastic specific pike position. it'd be a breach of contract if i told you more, however, i haven't purposely stretched with ferver since January and i'm still making mobility cycle per cycle. 

remember as well that the entire body is suspended as a single unit through the Fascia. if you are weak in a certain ROM or tight, your body will restructure itself to withstand stress and assimilate that weakness to the best of it's abilities. my advice, take a look at the program, visit the F1 forums which at this point is a PLETHORA of knowledge on tips of how to squeeze the most out of the exercises and the proper cues, etc. 

just the other day, i made a landmark difference in my training with Foam Rolling per recommendation of one of the moderators that monitor the F1 Forums. this resource is for anyone who purchases F1, depending on how serious you are about your training, pick F1 or if you're already commited in GST, just purchase the bundle for $225. it's basically like getting one course free. if you cannot make that kind of purchase right now, get H1 and F1 side by side, H1's mobility work greatly targets upper body(shoulder girgdle) and lower body(hip girdle) mobility in ways that are just obscene. when you see the program, you'll know exactly what i mean. 

edit: for your goals specifically though, the manna progressions work on precisely that

How is your L-sit and Straddle L-sit?

I took several months off of training after injuring my wrist. I can hold the l-sit for 5-10 seconds, but i have to lean back on my arms. I dont think ive ever been able to do a real straddle L with hands in between my legs. But i can hold it with my hands behind me for 5-10 seconds.

I/we used to use something like 3-5 sets or 50 or so repetition of the pike/straddle compressions in the warmups. Part of this is merely what we had time for in the warmup.

So maybe 3 sets of 20 compressions or 3 sets of holding the position for 10-20 seconds. I'd vary it up a bit so sometime compressions then holds then compressions then holds just to change it up a bit. Bare in mind this is with kids of varying ages and these aren't the most fun to do with the little ones.

So maybe 3 sets with longer holds/compression or 5 or 6 with less. I think you get the picture.

I'm not an expert on this or anything, but, I suggest working on mastering L-sit and Straddle L-sit on the floor without leaning backwards to pull your legs up.

I don't do any active flexibility drills, but mine is still pretty good.

though something that confuses me is if you're able to compress yourself into a pike, why can't you actively get yourself into that position? are you refering that you cannot do the leg lifting portion or if you're sitting down you can't get yourself down into the pike? because the answer to the former would be that since you're hitting the compression/stretch from a different angle, it will be slightly more challenging, as you've experienced.

I was referring to lifting my heels off the floor for pike/straddle compressions. I can, I just have to use a lot of willpower to make them lift up.

I actually just did the exercise a couple hours ago while looking in the mirror. It turns out that I have been doing the compressions at a satisfactory level. It felt like I was leaning back past 90 (probably because I was pushing through my hands and very slightly rounding my back), but i was actually leaning forward.

Blair, I will be doing the sets of the static holds along with the dynamic exercise. Thanks for the suggestion.

I will also be implementing leg kicks in my warmup. Thanks for all the advice y'all.

• Upvote 1