Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That popular planche video on YT!

Strogg

Im sure most of the people on this board have watched this vid some point.

Can i just ask if this will build a full planche as shown?

Most of the other vids ive watched of gymnasts explaining the progression is more geared toward starting with frog stands, tuck planches and so on. While this vid he is seems to be progressing using more of a bent arm styled training.

I would say his planche form is pretty good going off what ive heard gymnasts explain a full planche should be?

Christian Sørlie

Arched back and very little protraction. Not very good form actually.

Arched back and very little protraction. Not very good form actually.

Im comparing his form to other non gymnasts on YT claiming a full planche press up. I agree his feet are quite high and he is not holding the position for a given time. But its still a decent achievement no?

Jon Douglas

Yes, it will probably build a planche as shown, if you have a bit of luck.

This is not a good quality planche however... not worth following this progression when you have access to GBodies material

Daniel Burnham

The guy is strong for sure, but his form is not very good. Doing push-ups will not give you a strong planche hold but are useful for developing strength through the motion. It would be best to follow straight arm progressions and doing push-up progressions.

The reason i ask is becuase i have been trying the frogstand approach and it seemed hopeless. Keep in mind im fairly tall at 6, 2.

I switched to doing psuedo planche push ups and progress is going much better.

I will also add, im not looking to become a gymnast, just build stength and muscle.

Jon Douglas

The reason i ask is becuase i have been trying the frogstand approach and it seemed hopeless. Keep in mind im fairly tall at 6, 2.

I will also add, im not looking to become a gymnast, just build stength and muscle.

Why not do both (in a controlled fashion)? :)

Joshua Slocum

His planche form is bad. His planche pushup form is atrocious. A planche pushup is performed with a straight body, as opposed to the exaggerated arch the athlete uses, and the entire body should be rise in a single motion, whereas the athlete in the video first lifts just his legs to build height and momentum, and then lifts his chest. This poor form is a sign of inferior strength. He is too week to do them right. 

If you follow his progressions, you might be able to build up to doing planche pushups and holding planches in his style.

Your height is no barrier to following proper progressions. If you're having trouble with learning frog-stands, people on these forums will be happy to help you out. Just post a thread asking for help :)

Learning a proper planche will develop more strength in the long run than learning a planche with poor form. 

His static full planche has very bad form. It's worst than his planche push-up form. 

His planche push-ups are better than a lot of the street workout athletes's planche push-ups though. 

I wonder if he actually has enough strength for a proper full planche and or proper full planche push-ups and just need the neural muscular control.

Thanks for the info guys.

Im gonna be practicing PPPU's and Planche leans together, and then try moving back to doing frogstands and tuck planche. My shoulders just don't feel strong enough for frogstands and tuck plnache stuff right now.

Im also practicing front levers starting with tucked FL. And this seems to be going pretty good.

That is my all push and pull movements im doing for now. Trying to keep it simple with quality over quantity.

What do you guys think..?

Thanks for the info guys.

Im gonna be practicing PPPU's and Planche leans together, and then try moving back to doing frogstands and tuck planche. My shoulders just don't feel strong enough for frogstands and tuck plnache stuff right now.

Im also practicing front levers starting with tucked FL. And this seems to be going pretty good.

That is my all push and pull movements im doing for now. Trying to keep it simple with quality over quantity.

What do you guys think..?

How about some bent arm pulling also? I think you will be fine