Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How is/was the Seminar?

Mats Trane

Billy Cook

It was another great seminar and continue to learn more at each one.

1. Yes, it was quiet educational watching coach critique the candidate as they were going through candidate testing. I learned alot from his comments.

2. Thanks Yuri, for getting to climb on a "spanish web" type rope.

3. Learn correct blister care and mine are already better. Also learned how to wrap my hand to training with bilsters.

3. Solved the neck pain issue on hand stand to make Handstand One more fun.

4. It was a great group of about 30 people from all over the world.

5. The interaction among the group and getting to ask Coach questions face to  face is priceless.

6. It always inspires me to train harder.

• Upvote 2

Joshua Naterman

Really its just save and be cheap. 

I went to the october one in aus last year and will be going again this year. To make it as cheap as possible I bought early bird, camped in canberra (ie $20 a night vs $40 for a room), cooked my own food/didn't buy takeout, got a bus down (cheapest way to get there) and walked around the city instead of buses/taxis. I'll be doing it all again this year as well or might try to stay with a mate in anu. 

I realise not all of these options are available for you but they might give you inspiration. Hope you can make it to one soon, they are well worth it. 

I bought a rice cooker and cooked rice and chicken in it :) Cheap and tasty!

The structure of this seminar was fantastic, and really showed how hard the GB staff works to make what we do here accessible to people of all physical abilities.

I think we had the widest array of physical abilities that we have ever had, and those at the lower end of the spectrum got just as much personal attention as those at the higher levels. Everyone had a great time.

Personal highlights for me:

1) Seeing a much more varied group. We had circus performers, high school students, college students, young women, older women, a 9 or 10 year old girl who made a whole bunch of us look weak, and older men... physical abilities ranged from having difficulty with the physical strength required for some of the beginning iM work to... well, to Joshua Slocum, Yuri, Daniel Burnham, and the surprisingly strong Ian Myers, who was the winner of the Easter Egg. He really deserved that prize, his consistent training really showed... we couldn't believe he wasn't a former gymnast.

2) Seeing Coach Sommer again. I hope that many more people get the opportunity to meet him and find out what a great coach he is, but more importantly how awesome of a guy he is. You don't get more classy than Coach Sommer.

3) Making it through the Hungarian routine. I seriously couldn't believe that I made it through this time. All this F1 and H1 "beginner stuff" helped me more than I ever thought it would have. If you want to experience this for yourself, you'll need to train consistently and show up at the seminars.

4) learning some beginning progressions for twisting

5) Getting corrected on the H1 iM work, which really helped me personally quite a lot.

6) Making friends with the hotel's front desk lady and getting hooked up with frozen cookie dough :)

7) Making new friends, and seeing some familiar faces. Going to these seminars has become more than a great training experience, it has become an extended family reunion.

• Upvote 3

Nic Branson

Awesome group. Everyone worked very hard, looking forward to September.

Let us know what you thought of the seminar. Feedback is encouraged, send it to any of us. Pacing, topics, staff anything. We want to know.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

Seminar was amazing as usual. The post foundation series format was great and really let each person figure out where they stood so that everyone could get personal attention.

I have never felt so much soreness in my traps. Between hand balancing, ring strength and the Hungarian routine I had nothing left. Really lets you appreciate what level athletes coach has under his roof.

I've never met a better group of people that are really passionate about what they do.

• Upvote 2

Noble Redmon

I think I might be one of the "older men" at 56 that Joshua Naterman is referring to in a previous post :) that attended the past seminar. This was my first gymnastics strength seminar. While I learned a lot about the 'how to, what not to do's' during the weekend, what I appreciated most was the sharing of knowledge of how the body adapts to it's stresses.. both constructive (like F1, H1 progressions) or destructive (like 25 years of inactivity, which is my first hand experience). While I did get caught up in trying the cool stuff (i.e. Muscle Up) the weekend did reinforce the value of slow, precise progressions in the development of the body, no matter what activity one may choose to pursue. I also watched some of the testing Monday morning was impressed with the adherence to the standards that was required. It was very refreshing! I will not become a Beast or do beastly things, I will be able to a heck of a lot more (in and outside of the gym) than I can now. My heart felt thanks to all involved, it was truly an inspiring weekend.

Joshua, thanks for using "older" and not "old"... :)

• Upvote 2