Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How is/was the Seminar?

Mats Trane

Mats Trane

How is/was the Seminar? Any beastly things happening? Rope races? Pics? Tell us!

• Upvote 1

Jon Douglas

The way things are going I may still be able to make the Canberra one. Looking forward to pics/sampler etc~

• Upvote 2

Joshua Slocum

I was knighted!

It's been really great so far, being able to meet and hang out with so many people from the forums. 

• Upvote 6

how do you guys afford the seminars? and what are the turnouts like (of people who aren't teaching/hosting)?

Keilani Gutierrez

how do you guys afford the seminars? and what are the turnouts like (of people who aren't teaching/hosting)?

well, seminars, conventions and such are like educational tools to assist in giving more depth or quality to the level you're currently at or are projecting in being.

it's essentially an investment in your education/growth within a sport you want to progress in. so it just depends on where you're going with it....because it can either look costly or like an investment.

• Upvote 1

Jamie Cottrell

I would be interested to know what the Seminar is like as well. I live 5 mins away from where the Canberra one is going to be held and was wondering if it is worth it to attend a seminar considering I only started training with F1 + H1 8 weeks ago.

I'm only on PE1 for everything, so I was wondering if the material in the seminar would be applicable to someone who has just started out.

FREDERIC DUPONT

I have not attended a seminar as yet, but it was said that the sooner you can get there after you've started, the better :)

The material is highly applicable to someone just starting out. IMO that may be the most important time to get outside help as most beginners will need to have work on their form. The sooner that is corrected the better, as otherwise one can build bad habits that become very hard to break.

• Upvote 1

Josh Schmitter

I attended last September and can't recommend it highly enough. Wherever you are progress wise, there will be tons for you to learn...and hands on by the top person in the field. That is irreplaceable. That said, there's a chance I may not make this year, so to all who attended this past one: "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

The seminar is very accessible even to absolute beginners. We do a lot of stuff as a group, like warmups and mobility work. When we get to something where people are at many different levels (like FL strength for example), we split up into 3-4 groups of varying ability, so that everyone gets some quality instruction at their current level, including the beginners.

Neither of my questions were answered. I would really appreciate it if you could answer both.

I would like to attend a seminar, but I'm in college, and $669 or $999 not including a plane ticket, taxi fares, food, and a hotel room is out of my reach at the moment. That amount of money would pay for many months of food or a couple months rent for me. Maybe I'm not budgeting well enough, or I'll just have to wait until I get a higher paying job. Either way I'd like to hear how you guys manage your finances to pay for all that.

Jon Douglas

Neither of my questions were answered. I would really appreciate it if you could answer both.

I would like to attend a seminar, but I'm in college, and $669 or $999 not including a plane ticket, taxi fares, food, and a hotel room is out of my reach at the moment. That amount of money would pay for many months of food or a couple months rent for me. Maybe I'm not budgeting well enough, or I'll just have to wait until I get a higher paying job. Either way I'd like to hear how you guys manage your finances to pay for all that.

Edit;

Yknow what, I'm gonna delete my comments. Your question boils down to 'why do some people have more money than me?' I feel this question is not a good one, and I'll leave it at that.

• Upvote 4

Keilani Gutierrez

it starts with the before mentioned way of thinking. 

if you want it, you'll find a way, man. there really is no other "secret" behind it, thats the beginning principle. if in your case, going to a seminar isn't a high strategic value, where as eating and education right now, is, you should project how far into the future you can make the next seminar. 

if you can save $150 monthly(12 months = $1800) if you need more, then adjust your calculations. call the hotel, get the room cost, talk to the rental service, do all the stuff you already know how to do to get to a seminar (if it is a high strategic value, at the moment.) 

I've felt the same way as you before, so I understand. just work. do what you have to do, do it a little better. learn about financial education, how to save, how to discipline yourself to create a bank account with a purpose that will not be poached other than it's original purpose(like saving money for a seminar and then using it to pay for a new iPod = not a wise decision) 

as for turn out, Coach will be there and his athletes. the most important person that has to be there is you. turn out is something people who run the show have to worry about to make it a reasonable operation. you don't have to really worry about it because there's enough hands on experience and personnel to deal with what will be happening during the seminar. 

I hope that filled the expectation of your question. 

• Upvote 2

I was knighted!

It's been really great so far, being able to meet and hang out with so many people from the forums. 

And you came back as a moderator.  :)

FREDERIC DUPONT

HAHA... Well done, congratz Hari_Seldon of BtGB Fame for your knighthood :)

Edit;

Yknow what, I'm gonna delete my comments. Your question boils down to 'why do some people have more money than me?' I feel this question is not a good one, and I'll leave it at that.

It's okay, there is a time when we all need some reassurance about choices that push the boundaries of our comfort zone.

Scott Malin

We have pictures coming as soon as we can edit them.

In they meanwhile, we are pleased to recognize our first four certified GB Athletes: Yuri, Daniel, Matt, and James. Testing was grueling and even though eleven tried, only four were prepared. Be sure to congratulate them on their achievement.

Many say they can do Foundation, but few truly put in the effort to meet the standards of a National Team Coach like Coach Sommer. We will see great things out of these guys. Only 7 more half levels to go!

• Upvote 8

Really its just save and be cheap. 

I went to the october one in aus last year and will be going again this year. To make it as cheap as possible I bought early bird, camped in canberra (ie $20 a night vs $40 for a room), cooked my own food/didn't buy takeout, got a bus down (cheapest way to get there) and walked around the city instead of buses/taxis. I'll be doing it all again this year as well or might try to stay with a mate in anu. 

I realise not all of these options are available for you but they might give you inspiration. Hope you can make it to one soon, they are well worth it. 

• Upvote 1

yuri marmerstein

Seminar was amazing, as they always are.  I have only had fantastic experiences at them

This is a wonderful community that I am glad to be a part of

• Upvote 1

George Launchbury

In they meanwhile, we are pleased to recognize our first four certified GB Athletes: Yuri, Daniel, Matt, and James. Testing was grueling and even though eleven tried, only four were prepared. Be sure to congratulate them on their achievement.

Great news. Congratulations guys!

George Launchbury

I was knighted!

Cool - however with great power comes ...the loss of a pseudonym. Makes my brain hurt when names change. At least I knew (hoped) that slizzardman wasn't a real name! :)

Cup of tea required.

• Upvote 2

Jon Douglas

We have pictures coming soon as we can edit them.

Many say they can do Foundation, but few truly put in the effort to meet the standards of a National Team Coach like Coach Sommer. We will see great things out of these guys. Only 7 more half levels to go!

Wah, awesome. Big congrats guys!

• Upvote 1