Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What does mean a poping, clicking and snapping sound in the joint?

Cristian.Sirius

Cristian.Sirius

Hello everybody!

I am glad to be part of this community. 

I have been in the condition of having my left shoulder making a short sound whenever I am lifting my arm towards the ear, like in a "lateral raises" exercises but with full range of motion movement. As I am continuing the exercise the noise tends to become louder. 

This had started around 8 month ago and it persisted till now, I must say that it does not hurt but the sound itself annoys me to hell. 

Recently, for around 3-4 day the noise had starting to appear when I am doing pull-up with a grip having the palm facing each other. 

What I would like to know if this condition can increase so badly that it could it could lead me to an injury or should I ignore and continue my routine the sound, even tough it is so badly annoying. 

What are your experiences in this matter?

I am so glad to be here!

Cheers!

Mikkel Ravn

I'm no expert on the origin of the sound, but I can tell you that I've had a similar sound for years, and it doesn't bother me, there's no pain involved. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cristian.Sirius

I'm no expert on the origin of the sound, but I can tell you that I've had a similar sound for years, and it doesn't bother me, there's no pain involved. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

I understand.

Thanks for telling me. 

Does anybody knows how this could be treated?

Christoph Pahl

From my experience with my shoulder injury: A sound means that the joint is not working correctly. A clicking sounds had been the first warning - I ignored that and have been suffering for 1.5 years now, slowly slowly slowly I'm back. Perhaps yours not a problem, but it could become one. There are other organs designed to make sounds, a joint is designed to move well. So you  should find the reason and fix it.

• Upvote 1

Cristian.Sirius

From my experience with my shoulder injury: A sound means that the joint is not working correctly. Perhaps it's not a problem, but it could become one. There are other organs designed to make sounds, a joint is designed to move well. So you  should find the reason and fix it.

I totally agree with you.

But I have no idea on how to fix it, this is the reason I made this topic, I at a loss of thoughts on this matter. 

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

This is almost always a problem with scapular control. You most likely have insufficient posterior tilt.

The two best stretches I know of that can correct this are:

1: H1 im1

2: Kit Laughlin's dowel partner stretch (you will need 2-3 partners to do this correctly)

lack of upward rotation could also be an issue, and that could be anything from simple tight lats to a tight levator scapula (and/or rhomboid) or inactive trapezius muscles. The vast majority of this will be addressed with F1 mobility work, but you're probably going to need a friend, therapist,back buddy (search Amazon) and/or lacrosse ball for that levator scapula.

• Upvote 1

Cristian.Sirius

This is almost always a problem with scapular control. You most likely have insufficient posterior tilt.

The two best stretches I know of that can correct this are:

2: Kit Laughlin's dowel partner stretch (you will need 2-3 partners to do this correctly)

lack of upward rotation could also be an issue, and that could be anything from simple tight lats to a tight levator scapula (and/or rhomboid) or inactive trapezius muscles. The vast majority of this will be addressed with F1 mobility work, but you're probably going to need a friend, therapist,back buddy (search Amazon) and/or lacrosse ball for that levator scapula.

I am not accustomed with this names. Would you mind telling me what they are.

I have searched on the INTERNET but I haven't found anything at all. 

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

The first is from the handstand 1 curriculum. The second is from kit laughlins stretch therapy program.

• 2 years later...
Matthew Jefferys

That's kit's stretch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the calisthenic equivalent of that be a German Hang?

Keilani Gutierrez

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the calisthenic equivalent of that be a German Hang?

both ranges covered in german hang and in Kit's stretch is shoulder extension. when the arms go behind us.

the forces won't be the same but similar structures are stretched(chest, bicep, delt).

• Upvote 1

Matthew Jefferys

both ranges covered in german hang and in Kit's stretch is shoulder extension. when the arms go behind us.

the forces won't be the same but similar structures are stretched(chest, bicep, delt).

I'd say it's more circumduction based on the grip. Extension ROM in the shoulder is fairly limited.

Keilani Gutierrez

I'd say it's more circumduction based on the grip. Extension ROM in the shoulder is fairly limited.

you'd be surprised how flexible you can become in Extension. ^_^

example of a few shoulder extension movements posted by Gymnasticbodies in their blog and this is a video of someone demonstrating a well developed shoulder extension ROM.

• 2 months later...

I have been a bodyworker for 15 years. I have noticed that when a shoulder does not work well have a friend work on your SubScapularis. The most effective way access it is through the armpit. Have a friend take a supported thumb and stick it into your armpit as if they are trying to touch the shoulderblade, and find the marble feeling tight muscle. Hold it until it lets go. It hurts. If you feel a nerve tingling going towards the fingers move the thumb. (Best if you found an ART practioner ARROSTI or a good massag/bodyworker.

Other things to help

work on the muscles of the top of the forearm close to the elbow.

Roll out with a hard roller (think laying on a wine bottle, not really rolling just hang out on the ugly spot) at the lat close to the armpit, and the teres which is in the same(ish) spot.

Use a softball (womens fast pitch) on the back of the head at the occipital ridge. (stay out of midline.) If you are laying on your back turn your head just a little and sandwich the ball between head and floor at the occiput. You have it in the right place when, it hurts, it makes you feel like you are having a headache, earache or both.

No more than 3x a week.

• Upvote 3