This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

PE6>iM Undergrip Dislocates

Started by Eddie, May 15, 2013 · 51 Replies · 2,398 Views

Christian

Thanks guys, I already have a solid HS so doing HS training based on H1. The dislocations stay in during my warm up and here i keep trying to go narrower/heavier.

Eddie

Question, I was laying out sun tanning over this past wknd and while laying there decided to grab a broom stick and stretch in the EL grip one arm at a time while using the other hand to push down on the other end of the stick to get a good stretch. My left arm has felt weird since then, when I grab a box (pushing on both sides instead of grabbing underneath) it feels kinda of like a sharp pain in my bicep and soreness on the front of my shoulder?? It didn't hurt at all when doing it (which is good news).

 

My left shoulder was the one I had a labrum repair and a suprasprinatus repair on, which lead me to my question. Does this dislocate / EL grip stretch the supraspinatus? If so, this may explain why I am pretty tight in this area. I have taken the week off because I am moving and it seems to be going away, but every now and then when I pick something up it is still is kinda sore. Is this normal, and should I be concerned?

Alessandro Mainente

yes the EL grip stretch this section due to the great internal rotation provided by the grip. when you are over stretching the supraspinatus an inflammation can appear the next day, a sensation of soreness. if you are tight consider to do a stretching exercises for the external rotator cuff. one of the best is try to catch the arms behind the upper back, one comes from the lower back bending up, the other comes behind the head and bending down..

the most stretched arms , talking about supraspinatus, is the lower arm. as you try to bend it up, the stretch will increase...be careful

Eddie

Ok, thanks for the tips. This just has me terrified to get into this stretch too much, but I will try the stretches you suggested! Thanks!

Joshua Slocum
Eddie said:

Ok, thanks for the tips. This just has me terrified to get into this stretch too much, but I will try the stretches you suggested! Thanks!

 

Take it slow on these. Sharp pains are a sign that you went too far. 

Eddie

It felt great when I was doing it, and the next day I was getting all these weird pains and soreness. It scared the crap out of me. I am definitely going to take it super slow with these.

Mats Trane
Christian said:

Made this vid of me doing it, thought maybe it would help seeing a regular guy do it also.

 

Realy nice Christian! YOU are the King Of the Forum on these!

Alessandro Mainente

i like that exercise, i'm very near to shoulder distance BUT with no weight.

i perform it more time during the days cause after it i feel my shoulders very good...

The Giant

 

 

Christian said:

Made this vid of me doing it, thought maybe it would help seeing a regular guy do it also.

 

 

 

Christian said:

Thanks guys, I already have a solid HS so doing HS training based on H1. The dislocations stay in during my warm up and here i keep trying to go narrower/heavier.

 

 

II think this range of motion and having a good handstand already places you outside the realm of a "regular guy."  Still...good work.

 

 

I took your guys' advice and tried working the back lifting part of the range of motion while bent over and...it helped considerably!  I was able to access deeper into the ROM and actually feel the muscles engage in ways I wasn't able to before.  I think this is a great tip for beginners, to start opening up the shoulders more...

The Giant

Huh.  I came back because I received an email saying Coach himself had replied, but now no new replies are to be found...

SuperBru
The Giant said:

Wow...the athlete demonstrating in the video has such ridic mobility in his shoulders, elbows, and wrists that it's almost impossible to see.  He does the move so smooth that you can't really see the transition between the undergrip and EL grip...

Bear in mind that he most likely has years of experience. 

Coach Sommer

This particular iM should not be performed bent over; either in the beginning or at the end of the ROM.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

FritsMB
FritsMB said:

After reading this post, and trying it, I finally managed to do this dislocate. With the widest of grips (more than 2x shoulder width), and only when I bend over from the waist while moving my arms over my head to the front (I have no idea why). Even so, very happy that I can now start practicing the move. I expect that pretty soon I can do it just standing up.

I am very happy to "report" that I have progressed since May 20 to the point that I can do this dislocate now while lying prone with 4.5kg on my broomstick (HS PE8 iM). Very wide hands, but who cares. Strangely enough, I find it easier to do with the weight. I video'd myself so I will post it here as soon as have uploaded it. This must be my peak GST feat. I am thinking about retiring now, while I am still at the top of my game.  :D

FritsMB
FritsMB said:

.....  I video'd myself so I will post it here as soon as have uploaded it......

Here you go. It doesn't look very smooth yet, but that will come now I know what to do. 

 

Alessandro Mainente

is impressive how this elements opened to me the doors over new skill...

yesterday i did my first high bar giant (in italy we call it "granvolta") with EL grip. nothing big for the elite level. but only 5 months ago i wasn't able to completely grap the bar with this grip in the front part of the movement!

Christian

Fantastic Alex!!

Nash

Hi Guys,

 

After reading and applying the tips in this post, I'm now able to do the PE6>iM, but I'm not sure at what point to move on to PE7. 

 

If you view the video below in full screen, you'll see that when my hands are in the front position:

 

* my grip is twisted around the bar and is a bit uncomfortable.

* my shoulders are rolled forward & my chest is a bit leaned forward. (if you view my body from the side, there's a small arch forward that starts in the middle of my back.)

 

The bar is only 4lb.

 

Is this good enough to move to PE7 or wait a few cycles until my grip is flat like it is in the starting position?

 

http://youtu.be/KekQyKOP8ow

 

Thank you in advance!

Christian

Looks pretty decent. I'd say yes. Keep the ones you've mastered and rotate them into the training to keep improving.

Alessandro Mainente

in order to consider a IM mastered you need to use at least 7-8 kg for weigthed IM.

for now your grip is ok, you can add weight and restart to use a more wide grip.

Nash
alex87 said:

in order to consider a IM mastered you need to use at least 7-8 kg for weigthed IM.

for now your grip is ok, you can add weight and restart to use a more wide grip.

Hi Alex,

 

Thank you.

 

Does this mean that in order to move to the next PE/HS one has to do the corresponding iM at 7kg?

 

I wish we had a solid reference regarding weights in the Mastery section of the program. It would make things much clearer.

 

I've read in many places that to move on to the next PE/HS you only have to do the iM at ~4lb (1.8kg). But keep them in the routine and add weights for the lifetime of the course. Which is what I've been doing until now.

 

 

Examples:

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/12334-ims-maintenance/?p=119710

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/11733-hspe2-im-question/?hl=%2Bweight+%2Bmastery#entry114191

Jon Douglas
Nash said:

Hi Alex,

 

Thank you.

 

Does this mean that in order to move to the next PE/HS one has to do the corresponding iM at 7kg?

 

I wish we had a solid reference regarding weights in the Mastery section of the program. It would make things much clearer.

 

I've read in many places that to move on to the next PE/HS you only have to do the iM at ~4lb (1.8kg). But keep them in the routine and add weights for the lifetime of the course. Which is what I've been doing until now.

 

 

Examples:

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/12334-ims-maintenance/?p=119710

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/11733-hspe2-im-question/?hl=%2Bweight+%2Bmastery#entry114191

Coach's word was 3-5 lb minimum for progression.

There are big benefits to building up the weight slowly though, my shoulders in the past couple weeks have freed up incredibly-- moving much more smoothly and positioning much more precisely and strongly than I can remember them ever being. That 3-5 lb was great for loosening up but it wasn't until I was doing 7-8kg that it's started to really shine.

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

Coach's word was 3-5 lb minimum for progression.

There are big benefits to building up the weight slowly though, my shoulders in the past couple weeks have freed up incredibly-- moving much more smoothly and positioning much more precisely and strongly than I can remember them ever being. That 3-5 lb was great for loosening up but it wasn't until I was doing 7-8kg that it's started to really shine.

how have you been scaling the weight? with the gear I have now, I can do (3lbs, 6lbs, 7.5lbs, 9lbs, 12lbs, 13.5lbs, 16lbs, 20lbs)

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

how have you been scaling the weight? with the gear I have now, I can do (3lbs, 6lbs, 7.5lbs, 9lbs, 12lbs, 13.5lbs, 16lbs, 20lbs)

Just adding another ankle weight up to 8kg. Sadly I think I'm out of room on the stick now unless I wrap them around each other; I may have to remain at this weight until I can pick up a decent barbell and some small plates.

Nash
Charm said:

Coach's word was 3-5 lb minimum for progression.

There are big benefits to building up the weight slowly though, my shoulders in the past couple weeks have freed up incredibly-- moving much more smoothly and positioning much more precisely and strongly than I can remember them ever being. That 3-5 lb was great for loosening up but it wasn't until I was doing 7-8kg that it's started to really shine.

Cool, thanks Charm. I'll move on to PE7 while keeping this in my warmup routine. Finally! Actual upside-down work!

 

Keilani, this bar I'm using is metallic (it was included with a cheap set at a special price of $25 at Academy). So I bought a couple of strong magnets and a few 2.5lb plates. I can increase by 2.5lb increments for as long as necessary. I'm trying to find 1 lb plates or some metallic object for smaller increments.

Flameous

If you want really small increments, just tape a water bottle to the bar.