This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

PE6>iM Undergrip Dislocates

Started by Eddie, May 15, 2013 · 51 Replies · 2,398 Views

Eddie

Has anyone completed this type of dislocate? I have studied the video over and over again and tried the movement and for the life of me can't figure out how he is moving his arms with his hands in that position! But I think that I finally noticed his hand positioning when the bar is in front, it's like an upside down undergrip....I was undergripping in front and trying to rotate back and that doesn't work.

 

Am I correct on this hand positioning?

Anyone have a video of this?

 

Thanks in advance!

strme

same problem

Christian

Put the bar behind you and grip with palms facing forward. Then dislocate. When the bar is in front you will be in a eagle type grip that looks very like an undergrip. Easy to mistake.

Joshua Slocum

Exactly as Christian said. When the bar is in front of you, your wrists will be rotated outwards in an El-grip, rather than inwards as in a traditional undergrip. When the bar is behind you, it will be an undergrip. 

 

Or, if you prefer, the hands are supinated in the back, and hyper-pronated in the front. 

Eddie

Thanks guys! I seriously thought this was impossible for quite some time now! Makes sense now.

corrumpu

Haha.. glad I found this post.  I was just telling my wife last night.. "there is NO way I will EVER obtain this range of motion"

 

I felt quite hopeless!

NIce to see this explained further and to know it might be possible.

 

--chris

The Giant

I'm nowhere near this progression, but I tried it just letting my arms go as wide as possible and I don't get how this is supposed to work.  The bar ends up trying to wrap around my wrists in a way that feels totally off.  Yeah, don't get this one at all.

 

Edit: Yeah I've watched the video over and over and his hands to pronate at all.  He has the undergrip in back...and it stays an undergrip for the entire performance...

 

It boggles my mind how I could ever do that.

 

I can hold the bar behind me undergrip and with hands shoulder-width apart, as in IM 2 and 4, but struggle with the strength to get the bar as high as my shoulders.

Cole Dano

The Athlete in the video has exceptional shoulder mobility. Don't worry too much if your wrist wraps around the bar and your hand holds more like a claw at first, this is completely normal.

 

Like with all the progressions, just keep at it gradually step by step.

Joshua Slocum
The Giant said:

I'm nowhere near this progression, but I tried it just letting my arms go as wide as possible and I don't get how this is supposed to work.  The bar ends up trying to wrap around my wrists in a way that feels totally off.  Yeah, don't get this one at all.

 

Edit: Yeah I've watched the video over and over and his hands to pronate at all.  He has the undergrip in back...and it stays an undergrip for the entire performance...

 

The rotation of the arm about the shoulder joint causes the hands to pronate about the wrist joint. It's an undergrip in the back, and an  EL-grip in the front. If you let go at the top, your hands have to supinate 180 degrees in order for your palms to face forwards. 

 

You'll also find these much more doable after iM1-5 have loosened up your shoulders a lot. 

Jon Douglas
Hari_Seldon said:

You'll also find these much more doable after iM1-5 have loosened up your shoulders a lot. 

This.

The wrist exercises and stretches will also help the undergrip feel more comfortable at the front.

The Giant

I'm trying to find a definition or pictures for EL-grip but cannot find any...

Joshua Slocum
The Giant said:

I'm trying to find a definition or pictures for EL-grip but cannot find any...

Raise your arms above your head, with palms facing backward, like you were about to do a chin-up. Then pronate 360 degrees so that your palms face backward and so do your elbows. That's an EL grip.

The Giant

Wow...the athlete demonstrating in the video has such ridic mobility in his shoulders, elbows, and wrists that it's almost impossible to see.  He does the move so smooth that you can't really see the transition between the undergrip and EL grip...

Hercules

And he can do them with 40 lb.

FritsMB
Christian said:

Put the bar behind you and grip with palms facing forward. Then dislocate. When the bar is in front you will be in a eagle type grip that looks very like an undergrip. Easy to mistake.

After reading this post, and trying it, I finally managed to do this dislocate. With the widest of grips (more than 2x shoulder width), and only when I bend over from the waist while moving my arms over my head to the front (I have no idea why). Even so, very happy that I can now start practicing the move. I expect that pretty soon I can do it just standing up.

Cole Dano

FritsMB that's pretty much how my first ones went too. Width is still horrible, but now at least can do it standing straight up. The dislocates are a slow go for me.

Mats Trane
FritsMB said:

After reading this post, and trying it, I finally managed to do this dislocate. With the widest of grips (more than 2x shoulder width), and only when I bend over from the waist while moving my arms over my head to the front (I have no idea why). Even so, very happy that I can now start practicing the move. I expect that pretty soon I can do it just standing up.

You are not alone :) I think that the major part of us feel the way you do. As I´ve said before about other moves. This is not a move that ever occurr in our every day lifes and I think this is why it feels difficult.

 

I´ve bought an extra stick that I brought to work so I every now and then can work on it. If we never give up and keep working on these moves I think with time we will be able to do it. I had the exact same feeling with planch a couple of years ago and just skipped the PL until I was inspired by Dillon and started to work on it again. Now a few years later I´m finally starting to straddle out and its just the best feeling!

So dont give up!

FritsMB
Mats Trane said:

....

So dont give up!

You know, Matt, after almost three month of Foundation, it has become very hard to give up. This stuff is addictive. I already have a short "No way" list. The goal is now to keep adding to it and see where that gets me. :)

Eddie
FritsMB said:

After reading this post, and trying it, I finally managed to do this dislocate. With the widest of grips (more than 2x shoulder width), and only when I bend over from the waist while moving my arms over my head to the front (I have no idea why). Even so, very happy that I can now start practicing the move. I expect that pretty soon I can do it just standing up.

Glad to see I am not the only one! After making this post I tried it in the gym and had the same exact problem, I could only complete this dislocate by bending at the waist as I brought my arms up. Makes me think that I should revisit PE4>iM because that is where I lack the strength at, pulling the bar up and over from behind my back. Just a thought for everyone struggling here.

 

As for the grip, if you look at the wrist stretches provided in H1, the "EL grip" Hari is talking about is the 4th wrist stretch essentially, except instead of the wrist folded under (fingers pointing at you), they are turned up grasping a bar (fingers pointing away from you). Just started figuring this out thanks to this post!

Cole Dano
Eddie said:

 

As for the grip, if you look at the wrist stretches provided in H1, the "EL grip" Hari is talking about is the 4th wrist stretch essentially, except instead of the wrist folded under (fingers pointing at you), they are turned up grasping a bar (fingers pointing away from you). Just started figuring this out thanks to this post!

 

Coach's athlete does the EL grip so well it's hard to see it at first, it took me a a few replays to see it too.

The Giant

Is bending over to perform a rep considered acceptable in the beginning?

 

I'd think the answer is no but it seems several folks here are doing it...

Joshua Slocum

In the beginning, sure. If you're using weight, consider decreasing it, too.

Christian

Made this vid of me doing it, thought maybe it would help seeing a regular guy do it also.

 

Cole Dano

Christian, that looks great, the EL grip is excellent.

Eddie

Wow Christian, great job! That is pretty narrow grip too! Have you move on from this iM or are you still working on getting even closer/heavier etc.?