Alright, so my gym only has weights bars stating at 20lbs. Other than this, there's a wooden bar used for warming up mostly. I've tried getting in position but can only raise to maybe a little above 45 degrees ( and that's struggling with keeping my back straight ). So I was wondering if starting with the wooden bar and working to at least be able to get into position with a straight back & hold it, would be a better option than starting with the 20lbs bar and barely being able to raise it.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
HS/PE2-iM question
Started by KingJR, May 31, 2013 · 14 Replies · 324 Views
I've been using ankle/wrist weights hung over the bar. You might consider that too
In this case, too little is better than too much, so for now use the wood. It's worth the time and money to figure out a more long-term solution, however.
Actually, I just thought of the idea of just putting a single 2.5lbs plate on the wood bar. Even though there would be added instability from the plate sliding if I tilt, I think this might be the best solution at the moment. Then I'll simply add plates until I'm up to 20lbs. What do you guys think? I'll still make sure I can even get into the proper position using the wooden bar alone though.
KingJR said:Actually, I just thought of the idea of just putting a single 2.5lbs plate on the wood bar. Even though there would be added instability from the plate sliding if I tilt, I think this might be the best solution at the moment. Then I'll simply add plates until I'm up to 20lbs. What do you guys think? I'll still make sure I can even get into the proper position using the wooden bar alone though.
Sounds good. 2.5 is a good start weight too.
It'll take a substantial time to work up to 20lb, it's a good goal but don't expect it to happen in a couple months. Don't rush this stuff as it's intense and involves a lot of intricate musculature.
KingJR said:Actually, I just thought of the idea of just putting a single 2.5lbs plate on the wood bar. Even though there would be added instability from the plate sliding if I tilt, I think this might be the best solution at the moment. Then I'll simply add plates until I'm up to 20lbs. What do you guys think? I'll still make sure I can even get into the proper position using the wooden bar alone though.
I think this is a good solution for now, and this is what I use (a loose plate on a wooden dowel). I recall Coach saying somewhere before that by not fixing the weight on a dowel, you also basically get a check 'for free' to ensure that you are maintaining symmetry. You'll know if you aren't, because the weight will slide.
Hi,
Is mastery of the iM only if you use 20 lbs with hands at aproximately shoulder distance ?
Kind regards.
mastery of the beginnin two iM's is considered to be having the appropriate shoulder width grip with at least 3-5lbs with proper activation of the muscles. then after this is done, you begin a stairstep progression as you delve deeper into the H1 program. what i mean by this is that while you're working on HS/PE3-4( a dynamic version of HS/Pe1&2) you will be achieving mastery on the latter iM's with 3-5, but on the previously mastered iM's( you can do them in your warm up) you'll be using something like 6-8lbs and keep increasing weight progressively in those small increments.dritar said:Hi,
Is mastery of the iM only if you use 20 lbs with hands at aproximately shoulder distance ?
Kind regards.
I also use a 1kg weight on a stick. Remember that you are also contracting against the stiffness in the shoulders which will feel a lot harder than someone who has good mobility.
Domz said:So what is proper activation of mm in this movement? I start by retracting and depressing my scapulae and try to keep my chin tucked but the only way that bar goes up is by applying a force with my arms in the direction of pulling the dowel apart.
make an arc while you bring it up, retract and as you're raising your arms, think of following the hands with the scapula, so it's depressed at the bottom and rising as the bar rises.
KeilaniG said:make an arc, think of it as following your hands with your scapula. protract while it's infront of you horizontally, as you go over, elevate and once you're overhead, pinch your shoulderblades together, the retraction comes when you are pulling it over your shoulders towards upper back/middle of the back territory.
Eh, I think you might have the wrong iM there. The bar isn't supposed to be in front of you at any point, or go over your head at all during this movement.
KingJR said:Eh, I think you might have the wrong iM there. The bar isn't supposed to be in front of you at any point, or go over your head at all during this movement.
duly noted and edited for confusion's sake B)
thank the webmaster for the editing button
lol
thanks for pointing that out.
Ok cool. I just started week two of HS/PE2 and the mobility on this one is harder that the headstand. Using a bar with negligible weight with an ankle weight of 1kg feels very hard. No way I'd work to 10 kg in 3 months
. The previous iM was much easier for me though. This training doesn't let one have weak points
.
dritar said:Ok cool. I just started week two of HS/PE2 and the mobility on this one is harder that the headstand. Using a bar with negligible weight with an ankle weight of 1kg feels very hard. No way I'd work to 10 kg in 3 months
. The previous iM was much easier for me though. This training doesn't let one have weak points
.
make sure you don't roll your shoulders forward while doing this. it will make it muuuuuuuuch easier and kind of thwart the effectiveness of it. i've been doing it in my warm ups and noticed this bad habit recently
Thanks for the tip. I actually feel them pulling backwards, because if I roll them forward then I'll hunch forward which I believe is not what we want.
Letting the stretch pull it backwards feels better in any case.