Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Meniscus Tear

Jccarlson9

Jccarlson9

Hello people of the Forum!

I recently had surgery to repair my torn meniscus. The recovery time for repairs, opposed to orthoscopic excision of damaged tissue, is considerably longer (about a year to regain 80% strength, and an additional year to regain the remaining 20%). I'll be able to run and have higher impact (jumping) training in 12 more weeks, but for now there is no pivoting or high impact motions allowed.

I'm a martial artist, so most of my movements, whether grappling or striking, are generated by my legs and core. With my stabilization gone from my leg, I can't get a proper workout in. I haven't bought any of the foundations or handstand products, but was thinking about a more gymnastic style of body control. I also figured that these types of exercises are fairly upperbody oriented, so it wouldn't put too much strain on my knee, in addition to not exhausting my legs which could slow my physical therapy.

Looking for input to see what kind of strain foundation/handstand workouts have on the knee joint, and if it would be worth it given my recovery needs to invest in this now, or later.

Let me know what you guys think!

Cliffs:

-Hurt knee

-Long recovery

-Will foundation/handstand be okay for me?

Cheers

Marc Proudman

Hey, i have a meniscus tear and am currently waiting for surgery. So obviously leg training is out right now, but I've had no trouble at all doing most of F1 (6 out of 7 elements) for the past 3+ months. I'm also doing H1.

I feel good, i'm starting to look like Johnny Bravo, but i feel good  :)

Jccarlson9

Thanks for the response peekay. Are there any movements you would consider dangerous for the knees in f1 or h1? For example, for me personally, handstands seem intimidating because if I fall through in a somersault, I could bang the leg. I also can only bend my leg to 135 degrees (which is pretty good for the amount of recovery time I've had post surgery, but no where near where a healthy leg needs to be), so would some movements require more flexion?

Anyone else have input?

Marc Proudman

Ps, sorry about your meniscus tear!

Thanks mate, all my own fault though- years of not watching what was going on with my hips screwed my right knee up big time  :unsure:

We're not really allowed to discuss foundation details outside of the correct forum (which you'll have access to if you buy the course),

but i suppose i can say aside from the leg work you might have a slight problem with one or two things considering your limited knee flexion, but you're on the mend and there's nothing that i would consider dangerous and it shouldn't put you off. Best thing is to buy it and have a look at the moves to see what you think, there's a money back guarantee but you'll probably love it as much as everyone else here.

Same with H1, you might be on headstands for a few months which feel safer anyway, and they can be done close to a wall for extra security.

I'd say go for it :)  

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) some movements require more flexion?

Yes, some do, but that should not stop you to get started; you'll catch up on these very few as soon as your knee is better. :)

Jccarlson9

Thanks guys! I appreciate the responses! I think I'll hold off for maybe another month or so before I invest into f1 and h1, but from what you've all said, it shouldn't hurt my knee in the long term, which is the info I was really after.

See ya'll in a month or two!

Cheers

Jccarlson9

Also, as an aside, maybe this thread can be used for more general me is is issues in the future instead of just a personal "what should jccarlson9 do?" Thread. It can be more helpful that way! How do you adapt to the program with your knee injury ?