Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Training with Injury

Graham Smith

OK, I've done my wrist properly this time. It's been plaguing me for a while now, but no big deal so long as I took it easy. Not so fortunate any more. I'm not asking for medical advice here, I'm off to see the pro's next week, however, I suspect that my rehab time is going to be significant, but I don't want to totally stop training.

The problem is, I can't dorsiflex, or apply axial load to my wrist. So no planche training, no pushups, no handstands, no pommel horse etc etc. Fortunately I can still pull, so hanging work is fine.

I am hoping that anyone can suggest some alternative to wall walks / bridges that I can do to strengthen / stretch my upper back and shoulder area without loading my wrists. I am weak in this area and have been making a concerted effort to practice wall walks which have improved my strength, posture, and general well being immensely. I really don't want to stop training this skill / muscle group until my wrist heals.

Given that wrists are a fairly common item to damage in this game, hopefully some people can make a few suggestions on how to take it easy on them without giving up training.

Thanks in advance,

P

I have one word for you; DON"T.

Unless you are are a very high level competitive athlete, there is no acceptable reason to ever train injured. And even then, it should be reserved for extreme situations (Olympic Trials etc.) and closely monitored with the smallest possible training load to maximize recovery.

As a fitness enthusiast, your primary goals may include improved health, improved strength, improved flexibility, recreation, improved agility etc.; however there is no place on your list for damaged joints. Patience and moderation are the key when training, the body needs time to adapt to the new training loads being placed on it (BTGB, pg 181). Pain is natures way of telling you to slow down. Failure to heed this message will lead to injury, continued failure to listen will lead to that injury becoming chronic.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks Coach,

That is of course, very important advice. I am well aware that I am not a teenager any more, and I would like to still be fully functional in old age.

I have no intention whatsoever of trying to train through my injury, but rather around it. A dodgy wrist will not stop me from jogging, performing squats, some abdominal work etc, I was hoping that there might be some suggestions for upper back flexibility exercises which do not incorporate the wrists AT ALL. The injury is in my dominant hand, so I certainly don't want to exacerbate it.

My wrist issue was a chronic thing, I suspect from an injury back when I was a teenage gymnast (30 now). If pain flared up I have always stopped training, and rested the wrist until it was fully better. I suspect that some soft tissue was weak in there, and with my wrist feeling fine, I performed a hand spring and the wrist just gave out suddenly. I have kept it in a brace since, and have NO intention of trying to train on it.

Exercises such as the Pilates diamond press can work the upper back with no loading of the wrists required, so I was just wondering if anybody had any similar suggestions.

Start your pushups and wrist prevention against a vertical wall.

Upper arm shoulder shrugs on parallel bars. Upper arm supports on PB/SR. Assisted cross on forearms through rings, use your feet on block or by standing and squatting or by kneeling in a pushup like position.