Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One legged planche VS Straddle Planche

Yaad Mohammad

Yaad Mohammad

Hey guys,

At the moment I can do a 10 second solid one legged planche, but I got a pretty unstable straddle planche that I can only do when I'm completely rested, and if I'm lucky I hit 4 seconds of them. My question is, how long should I hold the one legged planche before moving on to the straddle planche?

Now, I stopped doing advanced tuck planches because I feel extremely uncomfortable with them, it's hard to keep the position, you have to constantly keep reminding yourself to keep a good form with the advanced tuck planche, it's really annoying and I can't do straddle planches because it's too unstable at the moment, so I decided to go with one-legged planches. So my second question is, is it possible to train the planche every day, so 5 days, in a week and get a lot of progress? I'm willing to give up all the other training, just to get my planche. If so, what would be a good schedule for someone who can do a 10 second one legged planche?

Joshua Naterman

You would be a fool to give up all other training :) We are not going to discuss training every day in this public part of the forum, there is too much potential for people to get hurt by doing things incorrectly.

If you have trouble keeping good form with advanced tuck PL, then you really have no business pushing forward. You either need to step all the way back to tuck OR tuck back up just enough to stabilize the position.

Question:

Are you on the foundation program?

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

One-legged is harder to hold than straddled. If you're having trouble holding the straddle position it's probably due to poor lower back/hip strength/flexibility. The Foundation course would benefit you greatly here. 

So my second question is, is it possible to train the planche every day, so 5 days, in a week and get a lot of progress? I'm willing to give up all the other training, just to get my planche. If so, what would be a good schedule for someone who can do a 10 second one legged planche?

No, it's not possible. Have patience. Maintain a proper workout balance.

Difficulty with the straddle and advanced tuck planches is a sign that there are gaps in your preparation. These gaps are liable to come back and bite you later if you don't fill them in. My recommendation would be to master the advanced tuck planche while doing straddle mobility work, then move on to mastering the straddle planche. 

Yaad Mohammad

I'm not on the foundation program no...

But I can hold a perfectly fine adv tuck planche but the one legged planche feels much more comfortable for some reason

Joshua Naterman

I stopped doing advanced tuck planches because I feel extremely uncomfortable with them, it's hard to keep the position, you have to constantly keep reminding yourself to keep a good form with the advanced tuck planche, it's really annoying and I can't do straddle planches because it's too unstable at the moment

So you are saying that adv tuck is uncomfortable because it takes so much concentration to stay steady with good form... yet you don't see the connection between you having to work quite a bit just to stay steady in ADV tuck and straddle planche being too unstable for you.

You don't have the strength for straddle yet. If you did, it would not be too unsteady. If advanced tuck is still a challenge to hold perfectly, even if you have a long hold, then you need to keep working that for a while.

You will benefit greatly from getting on the foundation work, that I can guarantee you. Every single person has noticed how much better they are doing on that vs their own attempts to program GST, myself included.

I can't help but point out that I think you are going through a bit of what I went through over the past couple of years, which is completely separating ego from gym.

I have found that, at least for me, the trick is to give yourself advice as if you are someone off the street who you have never met before, because we all know what to tell another person when they tell us that their advanced tuck still takes effort to maintain good form, yet they are trying to move on to a more laid out position. The answer is obvious as long as it isn't us that has to hear it :) Creating that separation, and talking to yourself about your training as if you have never met yourself before this moment, is the key to good self-coaching. It takes practice, and is a constant exercise in humility.

• Upvote 1

Yaad Mohammad

I think I've been phrashing it incorrectly... The adv tuck planche is really not that hard for me to hold. But it's more fun I guess to train with one legged planche because I can lock my really comfortably in that position. Same thing with adv. tuck front lever and adv. tuck back lever. I can hold front lever and back lever longer than 10 sec. So I know it's not a strength issue. And I know I'm too weak for straddle yet, but the one legged feels great to do, feels just like my level. I was just wondering how long I should be able to hold it to move on to the straddle planche.

And you said something about training it every day would not be wise to discuss in this public part of the forum? Can't you tell me privately? I'm really motivated to get my planche!

Joshua Naterman

If you're motivated, take your time and go through all the proper progressions.

You're talking as if you're just running up a hill, but you are free-climbing a crumbly rock face. You need to take the time to make sure that each position is solid before moving on to the next, or you will end up falling down and getting hurt quite badly because your previous positions were not strong enough to catch you mid-fall.

If you want specific guidance, you can join us over in the Foundation forums. Now that there is an official path to be followed, that is what we adhere to, and we can't discuss Foundation outside the appropriate forum.

Yaad Mohammad

One-legged is harder to hold than straddled. If you're having trouble holding the straddle position it's probably due to poor lower back/hip strength/flexibility. The Foundation course would benefit you greatly here.

No, it's not possible. Have patience. Maintain a proper workout balance.

Difficulty with the straddle and advanced tuck planches is a sign that there are gaps in your preparation. These gaps are liable to come back and bite you later if you don't fill them in. My recommendation would be to master the advanced tuck planche while doing straddle mobility work, then move on to mastering the straddle planche.

One-legged planche is harder than straddle planche?! I never knew this! So I need to work on my hip/lower back strength flexibility!

Hayden Whealing

How about training a straddle planche while your legs are in a 1/2 lay position?

Joseph Blazuk

I'm not a fan of 1 legged planches - it's an awkwardly balanced position.  Naka-athletics on youtube has good progressions on planche which I think will help in whatever your deficits are... if you're not going the foundation route.  You can try wall straddle planches but it's pretty non-beneficial unless you know you are doing it with correct form.  I think there is a large gap between adv tuck planche and straddle planche which I've tried to fill in with my own exercises but I'm hoping foundations will bridge that gap so I can see other ideas. I think there are neuromuscular elements missing - from the boys' teams I've seen the coach can just raise and lower the kid into and out planches as a spot, allowing them to develop the neuro programming and eventually the strength comes.  This is obviously not possible with adults.

I think it'd be an interesting poll to see what percentage of people who visit this site without prior gymnastics experience, as adults, have successfully achieved a straddle planche... and then eventually what % of them attribute this to foundations.

Daniel Burnham

I would be one of those with a straddle planche with no gymnastics background. Soccer, boxing and weights prior. I attribute my planche to smart programming from BtGB, the WODs, and the seminars. Foundation has fixed any deficits and made everything bullet proof. You will be pleasantly surprised at the future progressions and won't have any more large gaps to overcome.

Me too no previous gymnastics experience besides a few months when I was 5. Got mine pretty much the same way Zach did.

Joshua Slocum

I started at 17, and have a straddle planche. Just did a lot of strength work and eventually had one after a few years. 

One-legged planche is harder than straddle planche?! I never knew this! So I need to work on my hip/lower back strength flexibility!

Not necessarily, it depends on how wide the straddle is and how extended the tucked leg is in the one legged planche. It's just like how an adv tuck could be made harder than a straddle if the legs are extended far enough.

I think it'd be an interesting poll to see what percentage of people who visit this site without prior gymnastics experience, as adults, have successfully achieved a straddle planche... and then eventually what % of them attribute this to foundations.

I got mines by doing the planche progressions from tuck > adv tuck > straddle, etc. I don't have a background in gymnastics and only some weight training and basic calisthenics background. I mostly used GTG with short high intensity holds like almost every day. This was before the Foundation Courses were created.

• 10 months later...
JezzaMazza93

gosh Im starting to get fed up with this forum, all you people want use to do is buy the foundation program!

• Upvote 2

Coach Sommer

As it is hands down the best program for beginners to master basic GST, why wouldn't it be recommended?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

JezzaMazza93

As it is hands down the best program for beginners to master basic GST, why wouldn't it be recommended?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

yeah definitly. However there's loads of other reliable sources out there and alot cheaper too! 

• Upvote 1

Biren Patel

Oh, you guys. ^_^ This forum is six years old now. I've been browsing this forum for something like four or five years. Practically every question concerning basic strength, balance, and getting started that comes through nowadays has been answered in some way or another years ago. All the information about basic GST is here for people to find and get started on their own.

I asked the same thing last year that you guys are asking now. I didn't realize it, but my paragraph above is pretty much spot on. All the basic gst information is here...nothing really left to do but get the courses if you can get them. It's obvious that there is information on this forum that is not going to be handed out for free.

Jezza, a description of rings 1 stated somewhere that the course goes up to maltese. I think...there is something for everyone, no matter how advanced you are.

Joshua Slocum

gosh Im starting to get fed up with this forum, all you people want use to do is buy the foundation program!

I don't know what you're complaining about. There's plenty of good advice in this thread on top of "buy Foundation". 

Joshua Slocum

Other than Coach himself, no one is here to sell anything. We keep recommending the GB course material because:

- It is (in my opinion) the best program out there.

- Many newcomers posting their first question haven't heard of the new GB courses, or don't think they're useful.

- Lots of questions asked here would be answered or rendered superfluous by following GB courses.

Matthew Proulx

yeah definitly. However there's loads of other reliable sources out there and alot cheaper too! 

I actually don't know of any more reliable sources out there period regardless of price that provide such a progressive system in a programmed format. There is a lot of information out there for sure, and it sure is hard to sort the good from the bad, but you can bet everything in this program is designed to progress you, unlike searching youtube and following 10 different progressions from 10 different people and getting nowhere because the information is so disjointed. I am not a follower by any means, don't believe in the cult mentality and don't ever try to sell anything, but I will say I've had more results with this program than without. And results speak more than words.

• Upvote 2

ForzaCavaliere

Aside from recommending the F-series, which is actually good advice, there is a lot of information on the forums provided for freeeee.

You can take a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink. Just be grateful for the info on these forums! It's like a cave of gold!

PS. Not sure why old thread revived just to hate. You could just search even older threads from before foundation's time, then you could be free of the references.