Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beginner ring routine

Karri Kytömaa

Karri Kytömaa

Friend of mine is working on a student play and he asked me if I could work up some strength show. I gave no promises but I said I could start to work on something during summer. So I have about a year to try to get some routine, while at the same time working F series.

Obviously I'm not going to do anything advanced but I'd like some ideas what kind of things I might think of including. Note that it's possible I'll be performing somewhere 3m above the ground with people dancing under me so essentially anything is going to look super cool  :D

Where I'm at: I have a stable support and ok L-sit though I still have to build up some volume there and work on longer straps. I can do a strict muscle ups quite effortlesly but false grip is my weak link which I must work a lot. I can hold half lay FL for a few seconds and BL is about the same. I can do 360 pull in half lay with little momentum. Forward and backward felge are hard but I think it's matter of training and getting good at the technique so something I'll definitely work on.

I've tried (pressing to) shoulder stand and it's something I'll work on. I have elbow lever on ground so I though I'll get it on rings since it would probably look cool to people.

So any ideas for a routine, other movements I might do, thoughts, criticism, all is welcome  :)

Joshua Slocum

The key thing to realize when doing performances is that how impressive something looks to the audience is not very strongly correlated with how difficult it is. As an example, most people seem to be significantly more impressed by a cross than by a maltese, despite the maltese being much harder. 

My recommendation would be to show off your moves to some friends and see what gets the most reaction of out them, and then base your training on that. 

Jon Douglas

The key thing to realize when doing performances is that how impressive something looks to the audience is not very strongly correlated with how difficult it is. As an example, most people seem to be significantly more impressed by a cross than by a maltese, despite the maltese being much harder. 

My recommendation would be to show off your moves to some friends and see what gets the most reaction of out them, and then base your training on that. 

Yes. Back when I was performing this was a source of endless frustration to my gymnast or ballet friends, who were performing skills that were technically amazing but left the audience cold. Just think of how differently you (Flameous) view elite rings competitors now that you have a better idea what actually goes into it and how difficult the skills are. I know the more I improve the more respect I have for gymnasts who make it look so easy.

Connor Davies

Seconded.  Think about how much harder an RTO support hold is compared to a neutral grip.  But if they see you rotating your support hold, chances are they wont notice or be very impressed.  Go in for big flashy moves, with lots of movement.  Or, whichever statics you can hold for the longest.  It all depends on what dancing is going to be going on underneath you...

Given a year, you should have enough time to perform something like front lever to back lever and back (or kip to support), backward felge to support, L bent arm press HS, lower to shoulderstand, forward roll muscle-up, backward roll to basket, extend to german hang, drop.

I think you get the idea. If you are strong enough, you might be able to pull off something like an elbow lever or tuck planche, maybe even hollow back press to HS (but this is quite hard).

Easy cool skill is like my picture, one arm cross from side to side. Much easier than it looks, but it looks neat to the masses.

Karri Kytömaa

Great points that will be addressed. This is essentially just an idea at the moment but something I like to work on even if it doesn't happen in the end.

Any ideas what flashy stuff I could learn in this time span with relatively little training time? I don't think there is really point trying to learn swings in that time span even though they would give access to lots of cool stuff.

I bet there is plenty of (rather easy) things to do on rings I just can't come up with right now.  :)

Joshua Slocum

Great points that will be addressed. This is essentially just an idea at the moment but something I like to work on even if it doesn't happen in the end.

Any ideas what flashy stuff I could learn in this time span with relatively little training time? I don't think there is really point trying to learn swings in that time span even though they would give access to lots of cool stuff.

I bet there is plenty of (rather easy) things to do on rings I just can't come up with right now.  :)

Some things that you could try to learn:

- Elbow lever with a straddle

- Felge forwards from support to support

- Felge backwards from hang to support

- Splits in an inverted hang

- straddled L-sit

Keep in mind that XTreme rings and similar products are not designed for swinging or kipping. If you want to swing, you need a set of rings that are designed for it. 

• Upvote 1

If you can develop a decent swing, you could work on "Birdie-Up" basically swing and backward felge/roll to support or either front or back uprise.

You'll need some ceiling rings at least, preferably some with springs or a Ring Tower.

If I/we knew your strength level, we would have a better idea of what you could learn within a month or two and within a year.

Karri Kytömaa

Some things that you could try to learn:

Keep in mind that XTreme rings and similar products are not designed for swinging or kipping. If you want to swing, you need a set of rings that are designed for it. 

That's a good point I had forgotten. I was thinking of learning kip to support but it has to wait. Straddle L is pretty cool and I will see where I get with that. Atm my straddle is extremely weak but I know Foundation will help with that a lot.

I'm pretty sure a handstand would be the most impressive thing you could do ;)

I'll be more than happy if I can hold a handstand on floor in a year  :P

But I think shoulder stand might look quite impressive too and that's workable. I'm waiting to get out to the park to train and test all these out but it's raining all the time!  :facepalm: Damn Finnish summer, it's short but luckily there's not much snow. 

Connor Davies

I'll be more than happy if I can hold a handstand on floor in a year  :P

Handstand one? :P