Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Headstand RLL - required flexibility

George Launchbury

George Launchbury

Morning!

While looking at the inclusion of Headstand RLLs into my training the question has arisen of what impact my relative lack of flexibility has on lower-back safety and correct performance. My main point of reference is Coach's BTGB, where the exercises are depicted by rather more flexible subjects than I :)

I pretty much get to [degrees]90[/degrees] in both Pike and Straddle Headstand/Handstand (wall) before spine needs to round to get any further with the movement. I'm not sure if it would be best to execute with a shortened ROM for spine safety, I should be pivoting more around the shoulders anyway (i.e. pressing) or it's fine as the loads are relatively low (if there's no discomfort).

Any views?

Thanks,

George.

I am having the same issue. I have been going just to the point of inflexibility and then back up. I am finding that my ROM is improving every few sessions...it's a slow progress, but slow progress is better than no progress. :)

George, one of my little guys was too weak to even do the HeLL even against the wall straddling up or with a spot. Then again he barely has his headstand and press to headstand. I had him sub tuck HeS to HeS with the spot ( as I was trying to spot with the straddle up ).

Or you could tuck down, extend to pike, pull in to tuck, extend up.

George Launchbury

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments.

After a few sessions I have made surprising gains with RLLs in HeS position, and am now able to rep out multiple straddle RLLs in HeS (no wall) with brief toe touch at the bottom. Possibly a case of my body panicking a little and preventing me from delving into the 'safety buffer' of my flexibility. I have yet to video the end result to see just how much my spine is involved, but then it is a 'lower back' exercise. I've had some interesting DOMS around neck and spinal extensors, but no pain per se. I also did some pike descents with straddle back up.

One thing I felt happening when away from the wall was as my legs neared [degrees]90[/degrees] my hips felt like they shifted further over my head in order to counter-balance. When I did it by the wall, thus preventing any counter-balancing, I had to really press with my arms to stay up. If my description makes no sense I felt more like a 7 shape than an inverted L at the midpoint.

It felt satifyingly gymnastic* with the counter-balancing, but obviously the pressing made for a better workout. Is there a right or wrong way, or just mix it up to work on both?

Cheers,

George.

* I rarely feel gymnastic (graceful, balanced, in control) at my stage in training, so it was nice :)

Nope, that's pretty much what has to happen while doing pike HeS LL away from the wall. You have to press and really fight the balance on the ground more since your hips are past your shoulders because your feet are out.