Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weird pull-up related inflammation/injury

Colin Macdonald

Colin Macdonald

I seem to have managed to identify an odd recurring injury that occurs after I do pull ups. It's taken me a while to narrow down the cause because I never experience any pain during the move, it creeps up hours afterwards. It also doesn't happen every time I do pull-ups, just once in a while, so I haven't been sure what the cause is. The pain is a dull ache that radiates from the top of my abs below my ribs and around to my lats in a ring. And oddly the pain doesn't get worse if I move in any particular way. No amount of horizontal pulling or exercise with the same muscle seem to induce any pain, it's very specific to the pull-up. From a dead-hang position, the pain is where the lower body hands from the rib cage.

I've already taken an extended break from pull-ups when I started Foundation 1 and just recently I started doing a very small set not reaching any where near failure as a warm up element, but today the pain has creeped up again. I'll be heading to the doctor, but I thought perhaps somebody else has had experience with a similar problem and some possible rehab suggestions.

Joshua Naterman

Your lower lats (the very vertical head) may be tight, in regards to the dead hang.

Regarding the other complaint of the pain at the tip of your abs below your ribs... I am not really sure what you mean. This could be an indication of a very tight serratus anterior, but could also be tight obliques.

Something to consider is that the muscles exist in a fascial network, and that you may want to stretch this entire thing.  Any kind of lat stretch will work better with the arm externally rotated (inner elbow pointing up, not down or at each other) and the wrists + fingers extended.

Manual therapy is probably going to be what helps you the most... ART, fascial manipulation, Graston, probably a combination of these.

Colin Macdonald

The odd thing is that in my Foundation mobility work, the lat mobility and stretches are by far the easiest and most comfortable element for me. I'm not 100% sure that the discomfort I feel in my back is actually my lats, it could be slightly more towards the middle or deeper. Is it possible that highly mobile lats combines with a tight upper back are creating some unbalances?