Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Building a gymnastic network on facebook, twitter etc.?

Mikkel Ravn

Mikkel Ravn

Since this forum is not populated by the usual internet warriors and trolls, but on the contrary level headed and reflective people that are eager to learn, I wouldn't mind hooking up with you guys on other social media platforms. Some of us are going to stay in touch on the forums for the next 3-5 years, and hopefully much longer than that, so it would be interesting to get to know the people here beyond 'just' the training. Would also be a great chance at extending one's network across the globe. With the occasional travelling I'm doing, there might also be the possibility of eventually getting together and training when out and about.

I'm not going to throw my contact details out there just yet, I'd like to get some opinions, and then take it from there.

Hope this doesn't come across as creepy, I'm just genuinely interested in meeting likeminded people - There's not a lot of them around where I live, at least not when it comes to training.

• Upvote 2

Joshua Naterman

I will say that the thread title immediately made me think of using social media for "personal liasons" lol! I had no idea what I was going to see when I clicked.

I have trained with several people on here, and made good friends. As always, use caution and good sense. And don't give out contact details that would allow you to be tracked down by psychos.

Mikkel Ravn

Lol, yeah that thought struck me too, the second I had posted. Alas, the title could not be edited. Well, not a native speaker, but anyway, don't mean to sound like a perv...  :P

• Upvote 1

Mikkel Ravn

IDK, perhaps 'Getting in touch'? What would the native speaker suggest?

Joshua Naterman

I just made it "Building a gymnastic network on facebook, twitter, etc"

What do you think?

Marc Proudman

I'm friends on FB with some people here, we don't meet up or even talk that much,

but it's interesting knowing them nonetheless; very different lives with a shared interest. 

Philip Chubb

This is a great idea. One of the better ways to help achieve your goals is to surround yourself with like minded people who are also determined. Social media helps.

• Upvote 3

Amarpreet Singh Saini

I met my dance crew online. We are from seperate parts of the country and few years back bboying was very niche and unknown here in India. You could count the number of bboys in the country on your fingers. Well we got in touch via Orkut (used to be a facebook like offering from Google). After an year we met up together and are still going strong. Its like a 2nd family to us now. We share our problems and everything over the fone and web when needed and are in daily touch despite not seeing each other for months. We've met a couple of times only but our thoughts and bonding are quite cohesive and thts what matters. Originally we were 5-6 ppl from different directions of the country. Me from north, one from east and 3 from south.

Playing online games together and planning our next visit are the highlights. Training when we get together and participating is amazing. Social networks can be very useful if used correctly. Anyways if you are in India sometime let us know. Would be great to get in touch and train together.

Mikkel Ravn

Hi Invincible Sun, sounds like a great network you've got going.

As a matter of fact, I am going to Delhi and Goa this October, so doing something might just be a possibility. :)

Amarpreet Singh Saini

Cool. One of my crewmates is in Delhi. Since we are mostly a dancing crew and m nt sure abt the gymnastic facilities in Delhi I ll enquire around. I live in Jalandhar, Punjab and the only one who engages in gymnastic bodies here. However I do share the info with other crew members but they focus on the dance aspect more.

I ll try to be in Delhi around that time.

Mikkel Ravn

Excellent :)

I like the traditional physical culture of India: the Gada mace swinging, Kushti wrestling, Silambam stick twirling and of course indian clubs. These techniques still have a lot to offer, in terms of mobility and coordination.

• Upvote 1

Matth Challoner

I think its a good idea, unfortunately near where I live there's nothing, and my friends aren't really that interested...

Quick Start Test Smith

I think it's a nice idea, but you know you can always just PM someone you have a lot in common with and who you'd like to talk to more. Then you can expand to more personal mediums from there based on the individual (facebook, twitter, Google+, etc).

But I'm not really sure what you have in mind. We have a GymnasticBodies FB page already. Maybe we can create a FB private FB group?

Graig Alpert

We should adopt a secret symbol to identify fellow community members: perhaps an iron cross pendant or a tattoo of Coach Sommer on our arms.

• Upvote 5

Jon Douglas

We should adopt a secret symbol to identify fellow community members: perhaps an iron cross pendant or a tattoo of Coach Sommer on our arms.

I'm thinking a portrait tattoo, of me, on fire, riding a T-Rex into the sunset.

The T-Rex will also be on fire for advanced members.

In response to the topic, personally I'm happy with the forum. If people want to find me on Facebook I haven't hidden myself anywhere, and people who particularly want my opinion can PM me.

We have also been lead to believe that there will be more interactivity in upcoming forum updates.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

A couple weeks ago people organized a meetup, where a bunch of members in the Atlanta area met at a local gym to hang out and train together. It'd be a nice trend if this sort of thing were to continue. 

Quick Start Test Smith

I'm thinking a portrait tattoo, of me, on fire, riding a T-Rex into the sunset.

The T-Rex will also be on fire for advanced members.

Lol. T-rex? A slow and clumsy creature... I'll be riding my pteranodon in circles around you. :D #SKYBAX4EVER

Jon Douglas

Lol. T-rex? A slow and clumsy creature... I'll be riding my pteranodon in circles around you. :D #SKYBAX4EVER

"Dino-topia. You think the name means a utopia of dinosaurs."

Edit;

#awesomechildhood

Quick Start Test Smith

"Dino-topia. You think the name means a utopia of dinosaurs."

Edit;

#awesomechildhood

Haha!  :P

Graig Alpert

A couple weeks ago people organized a meetup, where a bunch of members in the Atlanta area met at a local gym to hang out and train together. It'd be a nice trend if this sort of thing were to continue. 

I agree, that sounds like a lot of fun. I don't see anything wrong with reaching out to someone or a few people in the same location as you (provided people disclose their location). As far as online interactions go I don't think it gets much better than these forums...physical distance is always going to be an issue. I'm sure you could find great people at your local gymnastics facility.

Jon Douglas

I'd be stoked to train with some fellow GBs. My whole garage is setup. Rings, stall bars, pommel horse, mushroom, parallel bars, 8' rope and a climbing board for good measure. Also if you like to box, that can be arranged as well :P

Party at Zach's~

I know there is a Bodyweight group around SF. I wanted to check them out a few times but couldn't manage to get my schedule or funds to work when I was in Sac recently.

Sounded like an excuse for me to go to the city on a Sunday, do some gymnastics and then go hang out with friends in the area.

Daniel Burnham

With that said I will be organizing another meetup in may in Atlanta. As of right now these are just fun meet ups. When people start getting GB certified I suspect there will be more organized sessions.