Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Forearm Splints

Steve Spiteri

Steve Spiteri

Hi guys, I have very recently begun a limited amount of gymnastic exercises, having been into more general fitness (weights, crossfitting) throughout my 20's. The main movements I have been working on are planche and FL progressions, with HS practice and L-sit, L pull-ups thrown in as well.

I have been seeing a satisfactory level of progress with these movements (can now hold an adv tuck planche and one leg out FL), however over the last few weeks I have been experiencing an increasing amount of pain on the outside edge of my forearms. I get this most from when I release my grip on parallettes on my planches. From what I have read up on in the forum it appears to be forearm splints.

I appreciate rest is what is needed, can anyone give me an idea of how long I need to give it, as I only really get the pain after the exercise so won't know if I still have it until I attempt a planche again. Is there any indication I am recovered from this and can begin training again. Shall I give it a week off, two three? Also rice bucket exercises seem to be recommended. Shall I begin these immediately or do I have to let my injury recover before I can consider using the rice bucket. Having done a few rice bucket session I don't appear to be experiencing the "splint" type pain just a general forearm pump, does this mean I should be ok to carry on with the rice bucket?

Grateful for any advice

Steve

I had the same experience with PL on paralettes. What helped me alot was to release the grip SLOWLY and with control.

Joachim Nagler

I found it helpful to do the rice bucket immediately. 

I had forearm splints and after a weekend playing around with the rice bucket the pain was gone.

Also doing Coach's wrist series from H1 helps a lot to prevent it from reoccurring.

Mikkel Ravn

Hi Steven

I think it's fairly common, and perfectly understandable, for beginners (including myself) to be fascinated with the straight arm strength elements, so we jump in at sort of the deep end by beginning with tuck planche, FL, BL etc. Just realize, that if you are in this for the long term, there really are at least 3-4 progressions that should be mastered before progressing with the planche tuck. It is not a strength issue, it is about building connective tissue, which occurs at a much slower rate.

Jumping too quickly into full back levers gave me some tendonitis issues in my brachialis, and I had to start over at a much slower tempo.

The F1 course deals precisely with these issues, but before I began training F1, I followed a progression of frog stand, german hang, advanced frog stand, stall bar front and back support and planche lean as a buildup towards tuck planche, BL and FL. I required myself to do 5x30 second on each drill before moving on, some drills were done in parallel. The point is not to blast through these progressions, but rather to increase the workload slowly but steadily, to let the body adapt. Following that progression, I haven't had any subsequent problems with training straight arm strength.

Good luck!

EDIT: Coach Sommer has stated time and time again, that weightlifting and other sports don't carry over very well to gymnastics, due to lack of strength in the connective tissues; However, the opposite is apparently true. As GST beginners coming from other sports, we must therefore (for our own health's sake) restrain ourselves and accept  that we are not as fit as we'd like to think. It's a tough pill to swallow, but it will make progress easier in the long run.

• Upvote 1

Wrist extension and flexion exercises should help. I remember back then when I had shin splints my track coach would have us walk on our toes (stressing the calves) and then on only the heels (stressing the ankle flexors) for rehab.