Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What to do about missed sets?

GgOTi

So, if someone is using a workout routine based on coach's steady state training structure, what is the appropriate course of action when we begin to encounter missed sets? Do we de-load and begin to work back up to where we began to see failure? Or should we focus on improving recovery by increasing the amount of rest or the amount of what we consume between workouts? At the moment I'm only doing 3 days per week of training, so I'd imagine lack of rest would not be my issue, but I'm willing to be corrected on that.

FREDERIC DUPONT

What is a "workout structure based on Coach's steady state"? :unsure:

If you are talking about SSC, there should not be any failure nor missed sets because you'd be working at 50/60% of max holds - if there are, it may be that you are over training, or that you are underfed, sick, or other extragenous cause that you should ID & address before continuing.

If you are talking about F1, one I don't think it is should be called a steady state, and two, your question is in the wrong forum. :)

If I completely misunderstood your question, please forgive me... :mellow:

My apologies, you are correct. My question was directed towards a training regimen more closely resembling F1, at least as far as I understand it, as opposed to steady state. My reasons for not posting in the Foundations forum was 1) I have not yet purchased the F1 course and do not have access it's forum, and 2) my question is potentially applicable to various training regimens where trainees begin to encounter failed or missed sets and how to respond appropriately.

David McManamon

You need to try and determine what caused you to have a bad workout.  During a steady state cycle your strength should be increasing so you should be considering how to increase difficulty.  Did you fail to prepare for the workout mentally or physically?  Did you start the cycle at an unrealistic level?  The former means prepare better, the latter means back off.  When it is time to train, prepare yourself mentally and physically and then accomplish what you intended to do.