Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder pain during arm raises

Marko Petrunic

Marko Petrunic

Hey guys!

In our workout park we have a friend who developed some shoulder pain. In a following video the first two moves are completely pain-free, but during the third (flexed arm) there is a significant pain around anterior deltoid.

The pain occured after a few weeks of intensive press training (2-3 times daily).

We would like to get some feedback about pain causes and possible rehab/prehab from Joshua and the rest who are dedicated to biomechanics and anatomy. Thanks in advance!

Alessandro Mainente

with flexed arm there is a certain  involvement of the biceps tendons that pass into the shoulders. pain with arm flexed can be the result an excessive compression of biceps innervation due to supraspinatus stress. you are talking about press movement 2-3 times daily? i remember when coach said that only olympic champions train 2 times a day...so i think that to much overhead movement put to much stress over the acromion clavicular joint and that is the result.

inflammed bicep in over head movements is a symptom of rotator cuff problem that can aggravate. overhead movement repeated with low preparation it's not safe. what you can do now is eliminate the movement that can generate pain and for a couple of week limit the over head movements. then consider the idea to use a program to balance internal and external rotation, i've notice your accentuated internal rotation at the beginning of the video looking to your hands and to your shoulders. the reason is simple, external rotation provide a great depression of the homerus during overhead movements reducing the risk of injury concerned with rotatur cuff.

• Upvote 1

Marko Petrunic

Thanks very much for your answer.

Could you please explain this part:  ''i've notice your accentuated internal rotation at the beginning of the video looking to your hands and to your shoulders. the reason is simple, external rotation provide a great depression of the homerus during overhead movements reducing the risk of injury concerned with rotatur cuff.'' 

Also, what is your opinion on rest of the exercises in this period? Would it hurt to include horizontal pressing and pulling (regular push-ups, front-lever work etc.)? I suppose PPPs are out of the question because of unfavorable angle and increased leverage on the glenohumeral joint.

Alessandro Mainente

if your arm works under head level , you don't have problem. but free pain execution comes before the rest.

the fact that you have  a supraspinatus problem is a sign that the muscles that usually depress the homerus are not so strong. those muscles are the external rotators of the rotator cuff. if your arm are internally rotated is possible that the external rotators are too long and not tight in order to balance internal rotation (that usually is due to strong lats and chest).

Marko Petrunic

Mats, thanx for this insightful answer!

After all the research, it seems that my friend has developed tendonitis (biceps tendon). Can you suggest some links/videos/exercises for biceps tendon rehab? That kind of tendonitis happens very often so we are always looking for the best rehab routines (besides ice, rest etc., we are looking for exercises like Novel movements for hand, wrist and elbow).