Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with scapular mobility issue!

sn0wdude

Can anyone help me with my scapula problem. I'm going to start doing the Ido exercises, and wall extensions, but what about the way my spine is shaped like an S? Any thoughts on why its like that, and what I might do to fix it? I know nobody can replace a doctor on here, but Id like to see if I can fix it on my own. As of now I dont have any pain, but I am a lot weaker on that side.

I dont know how to post a video to view on here, so sorry for having to use the link to view it. 

Jona Ekström

Oh well I guess I do know how to put a video on here, haha, I didnt think it would work

Unfortunatly it doesn't work. :) It says your video is private when i try to view it.

Joshua Naterman

Do not try to fix your spine on your own! That is a very bad idea. Getting professional help will not only speed up the process, it will also help you avoid making mistakes that could haunt you the rest of your life.

Things you can, and probably should, do on your own so that you can bring your doctor useful information:

1. Analyze your anterior/posterior pelvic tilt on both sides. Procedure:
  • Get a partner. Could be a friend, girlfriend, parent, sibling, whatever.
  • go to google and have your partner learn how to locate your ASIS (anterior superior iliac spine) and PSIS ( posterior superior iliac spine).
  • Stand up straight, just like normal. Do not make any postural corrections. It may help to walk around a little and then stop, instead of just standing still right off the bat.
  • Have the partner locate the ASIS and PSIS on your right side. They will be kneeling at your right side, looking right at the hip. They will place their right index fingertip on your ASIS, and the left index fingertip on your PSIS. They will then straighten their fingers horizontally and estimate which one is higher, and by how much.

• Record this information, and repeat for the other side.

2. Analyze your lateral pelvic tilt. Process:

• Get a level and a small ruler. If there is no level available, you'll be stuck with estimates, which is fine but not ideal.
  • Place the level across your two ASIS, or simply place your index fingers on the bony point of each one, Right fingertip on right ASIS, left fingertip on left ASIS.
  • Have your partner estimate which one is higher, and by about how much. Be as accurate as possible, but don't obsess over it too much. You can estimate to the nearest cm or 1/4 to 1/2 inch and be fine.
  • Perform the same thing for your PSIS.

Let us know what your doctor tells you!

Whichever side has ANTERIOR pelvic tilt, meaning that the PSIS is higher than the ASIS, will need the hip flexors to be stretched more than the hamstrings, until the PSIS is even with the ASIS. They will also require . If one side, or both, is actually POSTERIORLY tilted, which means that your PSIS is LOWER than your ASIS, you'll need to stretch your hamstrings more than you stretch your hip flexors.

If both sides have anterior tilt, you'll stretch the hip flexors of the MORE tilted side (the side with the highest PSIS compared to ASIS) twice as often as the less tilted side, until they become even.

If both sides have posterior tilt, you'll stretch the hamstrings of the MORE tilted side (the side with the highest PSIS compared to ASIS) twice as often as the less tilted side, until they become even.

You should re-evaluate your pelvic tilt once every 7 or 14 days, making sure to re-evaluate BEFORE you stretch at all on that day.

Let us know how all of that goes, and let us know what your doctor tells you. If they tell you that your scoliosis cant' be corrected, find a different doctor, because they are wrong. Scoliosis correction takes a long time, and you will have to do maintenance work forever (most likely) to maintain the correction, but it can be done. It may not ever be 100% straight, but many people can make it so minor that it won't matter in practical terms.