Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SSC Routine, feedback appreciated.

Danny

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on this forum and I see a lot has changed. I bought BtGB a few years ago before I really got into MMA. Then before I knew it I got busy training and competing in MMA and just couldn't keep up with the gymnastic work.

Currently, I'm traveling Asia and thus found myself exercising with just my bodyweight and the available resources again. I simply love it. I re-read BtGB and created a steady state cycle routine. I would really appreciate some feedback from more experienced forum members.

Goals

• Solid freestanding handstand
  • Full ROM HSPU
  • Some hypertrophy
  • 10+ pull-ups for sets
  • 30 seconds L-sit on floor

Current ability

• Wall handstand, max hold is somewhere like 90-120 seconds, never tested it while fresh. I can balance away from the wall for 5-10 seconds at a time.
  • 10 slow and controlled full ROM pull-ups, chest to bar.
  • 12 second L-sit on floor
  • 3 HeSPU
  • A few muscle-ups in a row, on rings.

I'll be working out on Mo, Tu, Th and Fri alternating the following workouts. The order stated is the order in which I'll be doing the exercises.

Workout A

FSP (sets x seconds)

Low L-Sit (3 x 20)
Tuck Back Lever (3 x 20)
Middle Split Hold Bent (4 x 15)

Skill work
Handstand work, 10 minutes total.

FSP (sets x reps, 60 seconds rest between sets)
Pull-ups (6 x 5)
Dips (6 x 5)

Optional: Tabata sprints

Workout B
FSP (sets x seconds)
Tuck Planche (4 x 15)
Tuck Front Lever (4 x 15)
Straddle-L Bent (4 x 15)

FSP (sets x reps, 60 seconds between sets)
HeSPU 90% ROM (6 x 5)
Tuck Front Lever Row (3 x 5)
Tuck Planche Push-up  (3 x 5)
Pistols 3 x 3

On Sundays I'll be doing an intense stretching session.

I just finished a week on this routine and everything feels great. The exercises, sets and reps are challenging but doable. Should I increase the difficulty before continuing this SSC so that I can barely finish the sets or is it acceptable to finish the workout (albeit it hard) in the first week of your SSC.

Also, I am not sure about the horizontal push and pulling exercises I picked. Should I substitute the tuck FL row and the tuck planche push-up for something else?

Thanks for any feedback in advance, I appreciate it a lot. 

By the way, I know coach Sommer has a new book (Foundation 1) which would probably be better to follow than constructing my own routine but I left my rings at home and want to build a solid strength base with the available resources before returning home and buying the new book.