Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A weird imbalance.

gymrob

Hi all,

I have recently discovered what I think is an imbalance. Let me explain....

I have recently started trying out back levers (tuck) on my rings and noticed that one side (my left) sags a little below my right. Before you say...yes I made sure the rings were level haha :D. I havent noticed this before really. If I actively pull my left side up a bit then i become level. I think also that maybe my handstands are affected by this a bit aswell. I feel that my left shoulder extends a bit more than my right. I don't really think I have one arm significantly shorter than the other which brings me to think that it is some kind of mobility/ flexibility issue. I might try to do a back lever on a bar so that I can definately make sure it's not one ring slipping a bit. It doesn't look like it does though. hmm

Anyone have an idea what this could be? Anyone experiences this?

Thanks.

This is a common situation that is also often seen in handstand work. In the beginning of training, the athlete will tend to twist their body toward their dominant arm and, left unattended, over time this becomes habitual. This "skewing" may be addressed by the use of a mirror or a training partner adjusting the body into the correct alignment. Initially the re-positioning to straight will feel "skewed" to the athlete, however this is merely muscle memory being resistant in the midst of being re-trained.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for the reply. I'm not as worried now I know it's fairly common. I might go back to training stomach to the wall handstands to really get that allignment straight.

watch your video more. due to some shoulder problems, my right does this a bit when doing the bottom of a skin the cat and the left while in a bridge. such is life.