Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sudden Lower Back Pain

Travis Widmann

Travis Widmann

I've got some serious pain in my lower back right now. I can't even go to work. It's hard to stand up straight. I know I can't expect a perfect diagnosis over the internet, but unfortunately I'm not insured right now and I'd like to have at least some idea of the possibilities of what might be going on here, because I feel like this came out of nowhere and I'm pretty confused by it.

I've had a pretty tight lower back, but getting more active again and working on Foundation for the last few weeks had helped, along with a few stretches outside of the program to loosen my hips, nothing intense. I was feeling much better. Suddenly yesterday I was warming up to workout, and at deload intensity at that, when my back started feeling very stiff, very resistant, and then painful.

It was while doing Ido's squat mobility routine that this happened. The routine I've done many many times without any issue whatsoever. I first noticed the discomfort while I was holding a thirty second static squat position. My body felt much stiffer than usual, but there was no pain yet so I just tried to settle into it slowly. I figured that some days you just feel stiffer than others. I did some air squats, unweighted of course, but became concerned when the stiffness wasn't disappearing at all. So I tried stretching my back out a bit. Tried touching my toes, just relaxing and easing into it, nothing aggressive. Tried lying on my back and slowly pulling my knees to my chest. The pain just got worse so I left the gym. When I got out of the car at home I could barely even stand.

I've been applying heat. Sometimes I lie on the floor with my calves resting on a chair, thighs at a ninety degree angle to my torso, and breathe and relax for about ten minutes. These things provide some temporary relief. It's been a day and nothing's changed.

I just want to have some information here because it makes no sense to me. I feel like an old man but I'm 25 years old. In fact it was on my birthday that all this happened. Ha ha...

More than likely it's lumbago, which basically means your back cramped up bad.

I had it once, and it can be quite dehabilitating  while it lasts, usually a few days.

Until then, the best thing I've found to lay on the floor with your legs elevated, maybe on a chair. You might use some pillows to find a comfortable position. Try to wiggle your lower back a little at a time. 

I put my legs up on a exercise ball, gently bouncing the legs and rolling the ball from side to side while on my back helped to convince the back to release.

Next time you feel it coming on, you now know to stop what you are doing and try to work the cramp out in time.

FREDERIC DUPONT

I agree with Cole, likely a lumbago.

Not fun, not much you can do, but that too will pass :)

Larry Roseman

Wouldn't rule out the psoas either. It can cause lower back like pain that can bring you to your knees.

Sitting/Squatting is pretty typical situation that aggrevates it. If you do psoas stretches though pain should resolve, if that is it. Actual lower back issues take more time to clear up I believe.

Travis Widmann

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll just continue to take it easy for now. Lying down is definitely the most comfortable position. I'll continue to do that with legs elevated.

Would it be a good idea to add some light lunge and pike stretches to my warmup to avoid this from now on? Or is there something more effective?