Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RTO Support Hold

Connor Davies

Connor Davies

I'm having some trouble developing the RTO support hold.  Due to where I train, by necessity my rings are very low to the ground, so I can only develop a support hold by working the L sit.  I can turn out the rings for a fraction of a second, or hold a straight L slightly longer, but not both at once.

I suppose my question is, should I be working the L sit hardest, or an easier L variation to allow me more time to work the support part of the equation?  Also with my back lever practice, I'm worried about how much my elbows can take.

How did you guys develop your RTO support?

Joshua Slocum

Can you raise the rings by a bit and do a tucked support hold? RTO L-sit is much harder than RTO support. 

Connor Davies

The rings are hanging off a porch swing... It's old, fairly rusty and doesn't belong to me, so I'm hesitant to take it apart.

So I can practice a bent leg l sit, or a straight leg, either way.  I just need to bend at the hips to clear the bench, so no straight (hollow) body support holds....

It's the most frustrating piece of equipment, but it's all I got.  I use it for chinups as well...  The clearance isn't very high, maybe fully extended arms if i'm sitting in the chair and leaning back....

Joshua Slocum

Hmm, that's an unfortunate training situation. I'd recommend working both things: a straight L-sit with good form, and a tucked L-sit with rings turned out. Your goal is to eventually combine them. 

David Birchall

or if it's too low to tuck your legs behind you could try a tuck L SIt?  Perhaps even straddling the tuck to further increase the leverage.

If that's too difficult too you could try to do RTO plank for a longer time, raising your feet in RTO plank or start developing your RTO planche lean.

My thinking is that a RTO planche would have a greater carryover than RTO plank because your scapula would be depressed like in RTO support whereas RTO plank your scaps would only be protracted.

You could also try a RTO L SIt with your feet supported until you can do RTO tuck LSit.

Connor Davies

I might actually try that feet supported idea.  Seems to be a good way to get used to the positioning and load without having to work at max intensity.

With my RTO I can turn my rings out until my hands are 100% rotated, palms directly forward, but only for a moment.  In BtGB coach says an RTO support hold is maybe 45 degrees inwardly rotated from there.  I was wondering if there is even more benefit to be had from total range of motion in the RTO.

• 3 years later...

Sorry for bumping a 2 year old thread, but I have a related question.

In trying to keep your arms/hands away from your hips and the ring straps when doing this exercise, does that include keeping the back of your forearms away from the top of the rings, or are they allowed to touch?