Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Too old to start

talisker

i'm 48 and have always been resonably fit used to do bike racing in my younger days and have lifted weights and kettle bells on and off, i've been doing a bit of reading on here and it looks very interesting and would like to give it a go, a lot of people seem to recomend the foundatipn 1 course.

i guess what i'm trying to say is it possible to make decent progress at my age or should i be looking else where.

Richard Hamilton

Talisker, don't worry about your age... if you buy foundation one and consistently put the time in to train you'll be surprised at the amount of progress you make. I don't know what your mobility is like but it'll come on leaps and bounds if you follow F1 for 3 months, as will your strength. I cannot recommend it highly enough!:)

• Upvote 1

Definetly NOT! I started this type of training at 46. Turning 50 this summer. Get F1 and go for it!

• Upvote 1

Eric HARDOUIN

I'm 39 and started GST like 5 years ago, but without enought mobility work (too much fancy strenght work too soon). I had BL, FL, strong L-sit, MU on rings, but recently decided to rebuild from stratch to open those shoulders a lot more (like many...). Now it's been just 2 months of F1 AND H1 and the progress really goes steady.

So if you start directly with them, don't worry, you'll be more than satisfied. Just don't try to hurry because you "fell" you have less time ahead for progress (the mistake I made).

Curt Ferson

I'm 46 and new to this too. A word of caution- ease into it. Otherwise, if you are managing some bodily  injuries (like tendonitis), they might become very painfull and hard to resolve problems. I approached this like a 22 year old in a 46 year old body- and paid the price. That occured before the F-1 program was published. The Foundation program and Handstand training appears to provide a gradual and well rounded approach that will likely be the core of my workouts for year to come.

FREDERIC DUPONT

Yes you are; darts or bowling are better suited for old farts, but because nobody can stop you, grab a copy of F1, get started & show us all how far you can go. :)

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

I started Gymnastic Strength Training™ 3 years ago just before I turned 69. I got my slow muscle up, front lever, hand stand, plus some considerable basic ring strength these past three years. Just bought the F1 and HS course and am more than happy with the day-by-day programming and video-based instructions given there to improve basic strength and, especially, mobility. Try it. It has a money back guarantee.

• Upvote 6

thanks for the encouragment looks like i need to get started then :)

@fritsMB very impressive progress.

acrobatlegend

Imagine there were no numbers and no one counted birthdays. Imagine no one ever talked about how old they were. How old would you feel then? 

If you feel young and you feel great then go for it!!! 

Just because you are the same number age as someone does not mean you are the same health/recovery/ability to improve wise.

Some 40 year olds look and move like they are 20. Some 20 year olds look and move like they are 40. How you lived your life and how you take care of yourself has a lot to do with this. You sound like someone who has been actively pursuing life and taking care of your life. You sound like you think you can get good. I'd say go for it!

• Upvote 4

Connor Davies

Go for it.  I want to see how far you get.  I doubt you'll be as impressive as FritsMB, but then you have more preparation time before you get to his age.

Not doubting, it's just that learning muscle up and front levers at 70 is incredible.

• Upvote 1

Paul Mullin

I'm 46 and new to this too. A word of caution- ease into it. Otherwise, if you are managing some bodily  injuries (like tendonitis), they might become very painfull and hard to resolve problems. I approached this like a 22 year old in a 46 year old body- and paid the price. That occured before the F-1 program was published. The Foundation program and Handstand training appears to provide a gradual and well rounded approach that will likely be the core of my workouts for year to come.

You are :

1] not too old; I started at 49 after a 'well worn' military career.

2] should go slowly for the first year

3] should definitly by the BtGB book

4] take extra recovery days

5] to take advantage of the world class coaching and advice from Coach S

6] to Enjoy the Ride!

v/r

Paul M

Sailor Venus

Yes you are too old. But do it anyway. Don't let age prevent you from trying new things.

I started gymnastics at 2010, I was 24 at the time.

I wanna take up ballet, apparantly you have to start young to do ballet. I don't give a shit, I take up a new hobby no matter what my age is.

Too old? Too old for what?
If you mean too old to become an Olympian then I'm afraid to say you are and the chances of that happening are non-existent.
Too old to compete at a reasonable level? That's not out of the realms of possibility
Too old to improve your body composition, coordination, flexibility, strength, overall heath and learn some kickass moves? Not by a long shot!

Mike Taylor

If you don't start, then you are only going to get older....

(41yrs, two kids, full time job, shift work - F1 and H1 several times a week do it for me 😊)

Tabitha Ramdass

hi i am 14 years old and i can do a cartwheel a handstand on the wall and a split can i start gymnastics  :unsure: and is there any work outs for me to gain upper body strength   fast  :blink: .

Joshua Slocum

hi i am 14 years old and i can do a cartwheel a handstand on the wall and a split can i start gymnastics  :unsure: and is there any work outs for me to gain upper body strength   fast  :blink: .

Of course you can start gymnastics. I would recommend that you look around your area for gymnastics gyms with a teenage program that you can join. Nothing beats in-person coaching.

There is no workout that will get you a lot of upper body strength quickly. Gaining strength is something that takes a lot of time. 

• 2 years later...
Ivan Pavlovic

For those who think that they are to old to start with gst. :)
  • Upvote 3

Toni Laukkavaara

For those who think that they are to old to start with gst. :)

yeah but the guy built his conditioning in his previous like 30 something years XD

• Upvote 1