Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tendonitis rehab for handstands help!

Blake Behrends

Blake Behrends

Good day all,

I was given the recommendation to come here for the amount of expertise and knowledge you have for an injury I acquired working on handstand progressions. I have been seen by a doctor and was told I have minor tendonitis in the tendon under my anterior deltoid. The doctor did not really help me other than the diagnosis.

I am extremely active in street workout and somewhat advanced but due to this complication and the fact it will not go away I am hoping I can acquire a plethora of information from anyone to not only get over this but, rehab, prehab, and progress.

Thank you!

Max Helmisaari

As to what specific excercises can be performed to better your injury, someone else will have to chime in. I do however have experience of the issue you are prescribing, as I had minor tendonitis in my wrist this year. The first thing you need to do is to rest, use this time to work on other movements. For rehab what worked for me was exercising the affected joint through multiple planes (and also rotation), using a light resistance band. This was done for 10 slow repetitions twice daily, as recommended by my physiotherapist. Once you begin feeling better you may ease back into it. As a side note I am pretty much fully restored now. :)

I hope this post was of some help to you!

Marko Petrunic

First off, how did tendonitis develop, which movements did you execute (straight handstand, HSPUs...)? Also, you didn't mention pain. Does it hurt much and with which shoulder movement is it connected? You mentioned anterior deltoid so I suppose abduction (lateral movement away from the midline of the body) would be problematic.

Jake Lawrance

This sounds like you were deceived... From a generalised view, street workout trainees tend to sometimes rush progressions and without warm up (this is what I've been told) although you may have been one of the sensible ones! 

From billions of experience, doctors who are not somewhat trained in physiotherapy don't know what they're on about (my doctor said I might of had just strained my elbow when I In fact had tendinitis :facepalm: ) and all the same from all doctors. 

From my viewpoint none of us can give safe directions to help you rehab but you should see a trained physiotherapist soon as you can and get properly diagnosed! Then we might be able to help, I myself take a great interest in the glenohumeral joint and others on this site also have experience in physiotherapy or sports injuries so it'd be worth visiting a physiotherapist and then we can spill out rehab ideas :)

Joshua Naterman

What handstand progressions are/were you using?

Were you following H1, or something else?