Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

help with an injury

invinsible

My name is Mike ,

I need to hear someone with experience on this type of injury.

I need your help to establish a routine to get basic stuff.
I am 33 years old 6.0 190 lbs muscle
I was into Crossfit, weights and Olympic lifting and really in shape,.. I found challenge in gymnastics and loved it . I am working with a local gymnast ..
Well long story short, i was doing skin the cat on rings, which i done million times, i heard a pop.. F... me biceps rupture at the elbow.

I got  a ruptured biceps, and are getting the strongest endo button single incision surgery.

I am deeply saddened how it happen.. 

I improved my flexibility, and everything else over the last year and was taking my time to learn control over the rings..
Well that is the short story.. Hard injury i would like to have a program how to come back and not let this happen again.
I am scheduled for surgery for Thursday, but my will tells me i should be able to master somewhat better than what i was.

I realize it will be some time before i get back on them, but I hope you give me help and guidance to avoid this in the future.
I seen some gymnast as Blaine Wilson comeback fast. Well I am not top gymnast never will be, but I would like to learn basic stuff and control.My skills were muscle ups i almost had controlled rings, I also tried on the bar..
., i had easily skin the cat , back lever , thats how far i got.

Handstand pushups against the wall up to 15 reps, was working on no wall support.
i played with the bucket and pummel horse on the floor etc.

please help me devise a routine and how to strengthen my biceps, to never lets this happen ..
I have no clue why it happen, didn't make a mistake or anything like . I was stiff that day I noticed.
I have the fear of rings now, but my will to do basics is greater. I just need guidance and how to avoid .
progressions etc.

I would like to know your personal experiences or someone you might now etc.   I will be using a rice bucket to strengthen while rehab it.. 

Anything will help.  Doctor says he is not sure, but i seen gymnast come back as Blaine wilson.

I know he is top gymnast, but am only looking for basics muscle ups, i never got the muscle up completely , i did  skin the cat  an basics..

Actually am really scared of skin the cat now.

Any word of wisdom would be nice.

Sincerely,

Mike S.

Joshua Naterman

You almost certainly did too much too soon. Crossfit is not known for slow progressions, and there is a good reason why they have such a large injury forum. It's all push, push, push. When you push all the time, what you are pushing will end up breaking.

It is impossible to say what you did wrong, because none of us were there, but I stick to my initial statement: You went too fast. You did too much. Your body was not able to keep pace with your desire for progress. It broke.

Perhaps your gymnastics alone was ok, but you were doing too many hang cleans.. We will never know. Those are extremely hard on the elbows, you know. People tear biceps deadlifting as well.

My suggestion for you is to go much more slowly. Learn your gymnastics the same way that kids learn: Start with the Foundation. The Foundation products here are designed specifically to prevent people from having injuries like yours. We can't turn back the clock, but we can help you avoid future injury. You thought you were doing the basics, but you were not. You skipped years of basic strength, and you paid the price. I am sorry that happened, and I am not blaming you. I am just telling you what it is... I can't change facts.

What you should NOT do is return to your previous approach. Your body couldn't handle it then, and things won't be different the second time around.

I think that the Foundation program will be your best chance of returning to a reasonable level of gymnastic strength without injury, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

• Upvote 1

were do i find the foundation program for gymnastics and rings expecially.  is it something like a blue print?

am not completely brain washed by crossfit, I dont by everything they sell,

but to a point you are Right i did push a lot of things.

I am competitive in nature and crossfit gave me a challenge .

I take criticism well, so feel free to say what you want.   trying to learn , so i dont make a mistake again, this is not small injury..

My original thought i added muscle , which made me heavier stronger for cleans and stuff, but i could tell i was liltle heavier on rings..  the way   I split my routine between olympic stuff and weights.  3 days a week.

day of, 2 days gymnastics and crossfit conditioning mostly.. dependdin how sore os tired i was.

It just suprized me from a simple skin the cat, it popped.  

So yeah you are right a will follow the fundemental routine.. any other ideas are welcomed.

i need to know how to strenghthen my biceps, and other components  to a level that it can handle rings better. because curls at the gym and rings are two diffrent thins):)..

I will make slow come back expecially rings, I have fear , and believe me I dont or anyone else dont want this type of injury ..

I know it will be hard to comeback, but am determined to at least master basics.

Probably because the tendon was overloaded, were you pushing too hard the days before it ruptured? 

Know that tendons take a lot longer to heal than muscles, and unlike muscles, there are no nerve cells in the internal tendon bulk, so it's harder to gauge when they have been pushed to the limit. 

I already saw it, I do like the whole series of fundamentals , except the price $225 ouchh.... I hope is well worthed while am recovering I ll be reading it to the T..