Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

front lever and big legs

Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

hi to everyone, what is your experience along that question?

was your legs size be determinant fro your progress?

my legs are about 62-62 cm talking about circumference, there is a point where legs size is a problem for the levers?

thanks

Joshua Slocum

Bigger legs will make pretty much everything harder, including front levers. Unless your legs are severely disproportionate to your upper body, it shouldn't prevent you from achieving a lever, but it will make it harder for you than for someone with chicken legs.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

outside GB followers the 99% of peoples don't train legs....the chicken legs are more famous more than I thought

I have pretty big legs (runner and competitive cyclist) and I've found that essentially everything that involves holding my legs parallel to the ground has been quite difficult. However, I don't really have a frame of reference as my legs have always been big, so I can't comment how it has affected my progress. I'm more willing to attribute my deficiencies to a lack of upper-body training than an abundance of lower-body training.

Since squatting (started around Oct last year) I feel that my L-sits have become harder.

Front lever.. well it has actually been progressing, think this has been from working weak links.

So maybe I would be able to do FL with chicken legs by now.. but then I would be much weaker overall. 

Marcos Mocine-McQueen

When I started gst a few years ago I had fairly large legs. I had been a collegiate hurdler and lifted weights. I can't testify as to how it compares to having skinny legs but unless your legs are disproportionately large, I think you can still accomplish the fundamentals. I had a pretty decent front lever fairly early (though I'm no longer executing it while I go back to F1 to make sure it is perfect).

I guess big or not is all relative. I have 63cm legs but they are also 106cm long measured from the hip bone, so my legs don't look big at all. 

Jon Douglas

I am also fairly substantial in the pant trouser region, and have a solid FL.

Bigger legs will make pretty much everything harder, including front levers. Unless your legs are severely disproportionate to your upper body, it shouldn't prevent you from achieving a lever, but it will make it harder for you than for someone with chicken legs.

I hate those guys >.<

Joshua Slocum

Also, because I was curious, I measured:

My legs are 59cm around and about 93cm from the floor to my hip bone. I also have a front-lever. So 62cm circumference legs are unlikely to be a serious obstacle to learning a front-lever. 

Joshua Naterman

Mine are 64-ish cm at the mid thigh, measured with a metal tape and a bit of pressure, so they are a little larger than that when using a cloth tape. 112-ish cm from floor to iliac crest.

61 x 95 cm. I don't have the FL, but I do have a 30 second BL, so I'll chock that up to comparatively weak lats, not big legs.

• Upvote 1

outside GB followers the 99% of peoples don't train legs....the chicken legs are more famous more than I thought

99%? Many people outside GB train legs (squats and deadlifts). Probably much more so than the average GB follower since GB is not really known for its leg exercises.

I remember you had full front lever before. Are you asking for a statistic? I don't have big legs.

Alessandro Mainente

yes is only for a statistic...i expressed myself bad...i mean in the calisthenic world , from people who share our skills

FREDERIC DUPONT

Also, because I was curious, I measured:

(...) 62cm diameter legs are unlikely to be a serious obstacle to learning a front-lever. 

Dang that's like a huge tree!  :blink: ................. Did you mean circumference? ;)

Mine are 118cm from heel to illiac crest & 64cm circumference at their largest... I don't have any of the levers you guys are talking about!

In fact, my legs are much stronger than the rest at this moment... :facepalm:

Andrew Long

I have pretty big legs i would like to shrink them a bit actually.... but even 4 months of not being able to walk didnt shrink them =(  but hey you know what that means?  it just means that my upper body is going to get more of a work out and become much much stronger because of the extra weight down there =D  and i think thats kinda awesome....