Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

H1 worth buying when having shoulder dislocation problems?

Raidho

Hi!

I really want to learn the free handstand and other movements. I already have F1 and are working on those movements. 

Unfortunatly, I have a long history of shoulder dislocations and notice that all the stretching and protracting of the scapulae in the F1 makes my shoulderjoint more instable and prone to luxation. Also, I assume handstand practise tires the stabilizers in the shoulder making it susceptible for injury.

I am doing rehab-exercises to strenghten my stabilizers, rotatorcuff and scapulae. 

I think I have hypermobile shoulder-sockets as it is, and therefore shouldn´t be stretching the shoulderjoint as much. (?) At least, from my experience, the less tight I am in the armpit, teres minor, rear delt,  the more likely the shoulder dislocates.

Therefore, is buying H1 worth buying, with my current condition? Is it a lot of stretching involved?

I would really appreciate some advice in this matter, as well as any tips on how to work around my shoulder-problem.

Thanks in advance

Johannes

I cannot answer that question. But I can tell you that most mobility movement in H1 are all based on active flexibility. I can't think of any mobility drills that require you to stretch passively off the top of my head.

Joshua Naterman

The keys for you will be

1. learning to control your shoulder movement actively
  2. doing strength work for your rotators, as well as daily rehab

I highly recommend doing heavy, but safe (for you), rotator cuff work 2-3x per week for 3-4 sets per muscle. I would do this AFTER your F1 work.

You should also be doing MUCH lighter (like 50% or less weight than what you do for strength) rotator work multiple times per day. It can be a single set, that's fine, but do it at least twice. You will be very surprised at how well this works for you, not just for GB work but also in terms of your everyday comfort and confidence in the shoulder.

Same goes for the dislocates with the weighted bar. The goal is to be doing this actively, not passively. You will learn to actually USE your rotator cuff muscles to move around without losing stability, and that's what you need.

Without the direct strength work I mentioned, I don't know what your results will be, but with it I think you will be fine. Just go slow, the iM exercises with the weighted bar in H1 are very, very integral to your progress. They will be where a lot of the initial time is spent, but I think people will find that this initial investment will allow them to rapidly move through the later steps.

I am already seeing that this is the case for me.

The keys for you will be

1. learning to control your shoulder movement actively
  2. doing strength work for your rotators, as well as daily rehab

I highly recommend doing heavy, but safe (for you), rotator cuff work 2-3x per week for 3-4 sets per muscle. I would do this AFTER your F1 work.

You should also be doing MUCH lighter (like 50% or less weight than what you do for strength) rotator work multiple times per day. It can be a single set, that's fine, but do it at least twice. You will be very surprised at how well this works for you, not just for GB work but also in terms of your everyday comfort and confidence in the shoulder.

Same goes for the dislocates with the weighted bar. The goal is to be doing this actively, not passively. You will learn to actually USE your rotator cuff muscles to move around without losing stability, and that's what you need.

Without the direct strength work I mentioned, I don't know what your results will be, but with it I think you will be fine. Just go slow, the iM exercises with the weighted bar in H1 are very, very integral to your progress. They will be where a lot of the initial time is spent, but I think people will find that this initial investment will allow them to rapidly move through the later steps.

I am already seeing that this is the case for me.

Wow, thanks Joshua for an amazing answer! I'm so stoked now on getting my hands on H1!

It´s just like you say, feeling stable in the shoulderjoint, makes me feel confident and less scared of dislocations during other things in life like a fun basketball game with my friends or just wrestling around.

Or when I practise stage-fighting in my line of work as an actor, all kinds of armlocks and throws, which totally fake by the way, I´m as the victim is throwing my self around, acting like it hurts, feels safer and therefore is more fun!

Anyway back to the topic.

I am currently implementing Dieselcrews shoulder rehab protocol which after a week of going through the 5 different circuits (3 days on, 1 off, 2 days on, 2 days off, repeat) really makes me feel more confident in my shoulder. Dieselcrew rehab, have you heard of it? Any good? Any tips otherwise for rehab/prehab exercise sources?

• 3 weeks later...
Mikkel Ravn

Have you had any injuries that prompted your shoulder dislocations? Or do they just occur 'naturally'?

If the dislocations occur due to previous trauma, you should get your shoulders checked by a doc, you may have partially or fully torn tendons or ligaments that make your shoulders weak. I did, and it required surgery.