Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

push sternum out

seiyafan

I have mild pectus excavatum (chest caves inward), for those of you with a normal chest, what exercise do you find that will put stress on sternum and force it to go outward? 

The reason I am asking this question is I read somewhere that some of the movements (dips?) can put stress on sternum, I also saw a post about someone fractured his sternum while attempting a cross pull. Of course I am no where near doing a cross but I just want to know if there are any movements will put a force on sternum and push it outward.  

Todd Sprenkle

I too have that chest deformity. I'm hoping to gradually improve the flexibility of my sternum. For several months now, I've been doing the stretches described below -- just before bed. When I started doing them, I felt some continuing discomfort in my chest -- but that eventually went away.

My townhouse has two steps down from the upper floor to a landing area (before stairs on the right going down). I place a foam roll (wrapped in a yoga mat to increase the diameter slightly) on the first step down. From a supine position across both the upper floor and the roll, I reach my arms overhead and try to touch the landing area. Slight adustment in position changes where the stretch is felt. This stretch  seems to help open the shoulders and the chest.

After the stretch described above, I move away from the stairs and take a supine position lengthwise on a (different) 36 inch foam roll. This stretch seems to help open the chest.

And I'm now thinking that HS/PE1>iM -- or anything else that helps to open the shoulders -- might also help to open the chest.

Fellas, I dare say many of us on this forum have it. I do and it has caused me no problems thus far. I have heard nothing to say that it is more than just altered growth in utero. I'll just have man boobs if I bulk up too much ;)

I don't think there is any reason to believe you can change the shape of your sternum/rib cage. I also have a bit of the same issue. Having done thousands of hours of yoga, that according to it's claims, should be able to change that, I have not noticed any structural changes.

However, that is no reason to worry, you just need to go through the same process as anyone training these sternum/ AC joint intensive elements. Progressively develop the connective tissues strength to be able to handle the load.

Keeping in mind it takes a good two or three months for it to adapt to a particular load.

For you concern, Foundations One will be particularly helpful, as it very carefully regulates both intensity and volume of load so your body will have time to adapt. 

• Upvote 1