Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Martial artist asking for help

Guest Macare

Guest Macare

Hello. First I just want to say that this forum is amazing and lurking for a while I learned a huge amount about strength training and stretching. Now, I am not a gymnast but I do brazilian jiujitsu and I have a problem I hope you can help me with. In jiujitsu one of the most important things seems to be active flexibility in the legs and hips. Thing is I've been doing static stretching for a long time and it helps but it still doesn't really give me the range of motion I'm looking for. Now, watching gymnasts it seems that they have incredible control over their legs and I was hoping that someone here could give me a few exercises to increase the range of motion and flexibility of my legs, and especially my hips.

Michael Jordan

Well, this guide isn't from a gymnast, but it should help with flexibility if all you are currently doing is static.

http://www.trickstutorials.com/index.ph ... lexibility

We all are looking forward to Liquid Steel™, which should provide so many of us with answers to questions as well as a detailed overview of gymnastics stretching. Until then, this guide should help you out.

I dont' know the attitude about the book on this site specifically, but I have never heard anythgin but compliments everywhere else, and I know it's the best book on flexibility I have ever read. I gained a huge amount of flexibility by only doing a fraction of what he suggested.

Jonathan Kurz's "Stretching Scientifically"

available on Amazon...

Maybe you could try look-up BJ Penns training regimen, people always talk about his great flexibilitie.

I used to practice grappling with my friends, one of them did BJJ.

I would recommend Kurz book aswell. At least my passive flexibility is thanks to him.

Offtopic: Isn't his name Thomas Kurz? :mrgreen: Or did he change name at some point?

Guest Valentin

The topic is raised under this thread..

Read through http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1324

It answers a few questions.

The reality is that there is really no magic solution. Pretty much the way to do it is. Develop the passive flexibility to establish the potential for the active. Than you can use

PNF, static-Active stretching, therabands, negatives, isometrics (help), assisted lifts etc.. Pretty much the goal is to develop the strength in those ranges of motion.

Example of an exercises to develop the active flexibility for a front leg raise is to put your leg on an elevated surface that is a couple of cm less than the maximal height you can lift your own leg and hold it. Lets say you can lift and hold your leg at 90deg, than you would get some object that you can place your extended leg on, that puts your leg at like 80deg. From there you would perform sets and reps of 3 x 5 lifts with a a pause at the top. At each rep you try to control the lift and the lowering as much as you can. When you lift try to squeeze your hamstring rather than your quad... this will help with the cramping (cramping results because at this angle the quad is a weak hip flexor and you are engaging the wrong muscle to do the lift.. you want to engage the Iliopsoas)...

Anyways...this the most basic style of active flexibility training.

Many coaches do active flexibility by doing a variation of PNF. But PNF works well the CRAC methods especially.

Hope that helps a bit.