Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wrist Rehab

Tyler Gibson

Tyler Gibson

I am currently recovering from a wrist injury that I experienced maybe two months ago. The injury was caused by a very high volume of handstand practice and then exacerbated by rock climbing. My immediate response was rest and ice. I now have full ROM pain free in my wrist, although it is substantially weaker than it was before. I would like some advice on how to start strengthening my wrist back to where it was (and stronger) so that I can return to HS practice. I know a lot of you will recommend HS1. I am currently waiting my next paycheck in a couple of weeks so I can get HS1, but until then I still want to work on strengthening it.

Here is what I have been doing for rehab since I have had pain free ROM:

• The elbow/wrist prehab routine that cole posted that is stickied in the mobility forum. 
  • I am performing a scaled back version of coaches wrist series in which I perform the following for high reps, off my knees: Dorsal pushups, wrist pushups, first knuckle pushups, fingertip pushups. 

The combination of these gets some blood to the region and usually leaves my wrist feeling stronger. Is this what you would recommend? What modifications would you recommend until I can get HS1 and start the wrist prep included in that course?

Yes I will recomend HS1 again and my second suggestion would be what you are already doing, The elbow/wrist prehab routine that cole posted that is stickied in the mobility forum. Untill you get the HS1 do the elbow/wrist prehab routine alot. I used to do them 3 times a day some days even more and they do help. Used to do the in the car during the morning and afternoon traffic going to and home from work.

Get a bucket of sand. Or beans or rice. Put hands in and grab whatever till it spills out. Play with it and try doing different things with your hands in the sand, extending fingers outward, etc.

Besides that, use your hands to grip and support.

Wrap your wrists with wannabee voodoo bands. Just don't do it that tightly. No need to stretch and wrap.

Stephan Stansfield

adidashred,

I injured my wrist badly over this last month in a similar fashion (mainly from overtraining).

As a result, I have put together a comprehensive list of wrist rehabilitation videos that I am doing. The videos are a combination of workouts and stretches mentioned by Coach Sommer, Blairbob (an active member on this site), Ido Portal, and a few others.

I hope you find this link as helpful as I do:

Wrist Rehabilitation: A Professional Guide to Strengthening & Conditioning Your Wrists

Hope your wrist heals quickly,

Stephan Stansfield

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Tyler Gibson

Thanks for the resource Stephan, it's nice to have all that information consolidated in one place. For the last few weeks I have been performing a scaled back version of coach's wrist series for high reps, and my wrists have been feeling great. They feel stronger every day as long as I don't do anything foolish (like try to jump back into handstand training). Best of luck with your own wrists. Hopefully in the coming months and years we will both be able to train handstands and planches pain free, and have stronger wrists for it.

Another thing to try is what I have been doing siince I sprained my wrists last late August. I rarely use them now but occasionally I throw them on for awhile and they really help my wrists get warmed up or if they are feeling wonky or if I tweak them on a clean.

Get a bike tube and split it. Wrap it lightly around your wrist like a voodoo band. You want it loose/ssnug not squeezing the life out of your wrists as you would do when Voodoo Band wrapping.

Cheapest wraps ever. Work awesome. Look ghetto. I will probably start using them for gymnasts next time I have one with wrist problems instead of tiger paws or typical gymnastic wraps.

Jake Lawrance

Ido Portal's advice should be handy indeed when your wrists are recovered, if you intend to boulder! 1. Drop all your upper body pulling movements from your schedule for 30 days.

2. Drop all forearm and grip work from your schedule as well.

3. Schedule two indoor climbing sessions a week, it can either be just Bouldering or Top Rope or Lead if you are more advanced.

4. After 60-90 min of climbing, (depending on your capacity) and if feeling the need, add up some extra Pulling work on the rings, bar or Finger-Board for no more then 5 sets. The intention is to concentrate more on full ROM and quality.

5. Add a shoulder stabilizing prehab movement in the end of your session for 3-5 sets. Think retraction, depression, external rotation.

6. Continue with the rest of your schedule as usual, working your mobility, pushing work, lower body strength, movement practice, etc...