Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where to start? Is this for me?

Aaron Mcbride

Aaron Mcbride

Hi guys,

I'm new here and have been trying to decide if foundation 1 will suit my needs.

I have a weightlifting background and have recently switched my training to calisthetic based workouts.

I still squat deadlift press and over head press; but now am foxused on learning the following

Front and back levers

Frog stand to planche

Handstands

My goals are strength and aesthetics.

Would foundation one be suited to my needs? Can you incorporate it into a weight lifting calisthetic type workout?

I learned how to muscle up in a week but can quite hold a front lever straight yet . Really want to learn the planche and human flag.

Would foundation 1 be a good place to start? I have fairly decent strength but realise that may not transfer to gymnastics.

Any feedback appreciated; great site!

Cheers

Nic Branson

H1 is your go to for all handstand work and a lot of shoulder mobility along with pelvic control.

F1 will build your foundation for a future in Gymnastic Strength Training™. The base level of strength should not be skipped, often skipping over the basics will stall your progress later and require backwards steps to remedy.

Aaron Mcbride

Thanks for the reply; are you suggesting H1 or F1?

I've probably already learned some bad habits in planche and handstand progression.

Where should I start if I you were to recommend one and is it all mapped out?

Thanks

Nic Branson

Honestly with the path you listed you do want both. If you're only looking to get one for now then which goals are more important to you?

Joshua Slocum

Thanks for the reply; are you suggesting H1 or F1?

I've probably already learned some bad habits in planche and handstand progression.

Where should I start if I you were to recommend one and is it all mapped out?

Thanks

I would get Foundation 1 first. It will guide through the first steps to achieving mastery over the basic strength elements that more advanced skills are built off of. It is very comprehensive: you could do just Foundation 1 (and then later Foundations 2,3,4) and end up with an extremely high degree of strength in many different areas.  

Handstand 1 is designed so that it can be worked concurrently with the Foundation series. However, it does not have the breadth of the foundation series: where F1 gives you a full-body workout, H1 teaches you handstands and wrist preparation. It will teach you to master a handstand (mastery here means 'hold five 2-minute handstands in a row with almost no break in between'), and it comes with some good material on joint-preparation work for the wrists.

Both courses are extremely well mapped out. They come with explicit progressions for each exercise, quantitative standards for mastery of an exercise, and detailed charts for how to scale volume from week to week. Foundation 1 contains 1-2 year's worth of progressions for 7 different skills. Handstand 1 contains 4-6 years worth of progressions for the handstand, as well as progressions for eight different supplementary wrist-strengthening exercises and stretches. 

I would recommend picking up Foundation 1, and trying it for a cycle. If you don't like it, you can get your money back. If you do like it, then you should pick up Handstand 1 as well. They complement each other most excellently. 

• Upvote 1

Klaudius Petrulis

Yes, with those goals F1 is for you. It seems like baby steps at first, but you'll be deficient in areas you didn't even know existed.

H1 is your go to for anything handstand related.

It's fun training and seeing the increase in strength each week!

Aaron Mcbride

Ok Thanks guys I think I will get F1 to start.

Couple more things. Can this be included into my current calisthetic weight lifting routine?

Also are there any issues downloading it to Mac or running it on an iPhone?

Think ill get F1 and then base the decision on purchasing H1 after that.

Thanks for the replies!!