Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any gymnastics training exercises for 20 months old toddlers?

Julien Le Nestour

Julien Le Nestour
My daughter (20 months) is very active physically, as most kids are, but she actually loves more than the other kids to really make physical efforts (at least compared to others at her daycare). She loves lifting and dragging heavy stuff, the heavier the funnier for her. She also loves doing movements where she is with her head down, where she needs to support herself on her shoulders, etc. She also tries to imitate older kids who dance or do some gym moves.

I'm pretty sure she would enjoy doing some gymnastics exercises, as she also loves when we try to get her do something, and usually doesn't give up until she succeeds or realizes after a loonnng while that it's not going to work. She's been insisting to close her zippers herself since 2-3 months ago, including inserting each side into each other, and each time we need to let her try for like 15mins before she even considers lto let us insert each side ourselves ;-)

I'm now wondering if trying to make her do some structured moves would be desirable, and if yes, which ones. Specifically:

1) is it desirable to try and get her do some structured movements at this early age?

2) if movements are not desirable, is there something that is both fun and useful for her long-term? I'm thinking maybe stuff to make her actively stretch while playing, or other body awareness exercises?

3) if yes, would you have pointers to materials I could use and learn from?

4) what would you advise NOT to do as this early age?

Don't get me wrong, I won't try to make her do something that she does not want at this age (well, fitness-wise that is). But she does demand to play very actively and I think she would also enjoy doing exercises that we would direct her to do. She enjoys a challenge into achieving something, so I really think it would be fun for her. My goal is to use her energy to play with some exercises that will give her the most bang for the buck regarding her physical development.

If you could share any materials regarding these topics, I would be very grateful! Any other feedback regarding these areas will also be well received!

Many thanks!

- Julien

Guest SuperBru

Hi julien,

Thats great that your daughter is so active and determined. I could recommend some movements but unfortunately i'm not qualified to do so. Your best option is to ask Coach and he will most likely point you in the right direction. Having 25 years of experience makes him an expert!  

Coach Sommer

Toddlers can have a great time in gymnastics classes if it is in a Parent and Child format.  Just check with your local gymnastic schools to see what is available.  Most classes for this age group will be in the mornings.  

Be sure to go to a full size gymnastics facility and not one of the mini-gym operations.  There is usuallly a huge difference in the quality of instruction available.

Some little one are crazy strong and coordinated; I once had a 2 year old in a class who could do a couple of pullups on the low rings.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Julien Le Nestour

Many thanks for your incredibly fast reply Coach! I haven't found a suitable classe yet in Sydney unfortunately. Most of them are "Kindergym" which we tried but found not really good, being mostly Kindergarten type of activities. Some gyms offer toddler classes, but from 2yo and during the day on weekdays, but we both work full-time, so no go either :-(

That's why having some quality materials to rely on or even to educate myself on the physiology of toddlers and young children would be so precious for me, as it could be a year or two before we are able to have her go to a proper class where we are :-(

Wow, 2 pull-ups at 2 years old is impressive! Our daughter is not at that level by far, but still, we are continually surprised at how much kids her age want to try new things and how quick they are at succeeding and moving on to the next level. The more we push her, the more she enjoys trying, and of course the more she progresses. I'm eager to have her try new things, but at the same time I'm a bit hesitant to do so, without educating myself first and being sure I don't do anything negative.

There is a wealth of materials available, but knowing which one I can trust is the tricky part. I know if there are some good ones out there, I will be pointed at them here :-)

Thanks again for your reply, and also for F1 and H1. I'm enjoying pushing myself with these very much :-)

Best,

- Julien

Chris Hobbs

Here is a young Arevik Seyranyan training:

I watched this video and noted specifically how she was being "stretched" - seems joyous for her and really can't be considered stretching at all IMO. It made me wonder if a parent spent time simply moving their child into all of the ranges that they naturally have to start with if they could maintain that ROM as they developed without ever having had to "stretch" out. I suppose this would fall under that "limbering" category that has been discussed.

- Chris

Connor Davies

Monkey bars.  I'm definitely not qualified to advise you on this subject, but it seems to be the one aspect of fitness that a normal kid playing around might not get.  Obviously she's already going to be running around, jumping, getting up and down off the floor ect. I doubt she's heavy enough for pushups and squats to give much resistance....   But climbing on things is something we evolved to do, and not enough kids can hang from their arms these days...

And I can tell you right now, learning monkey bars as an adult is horrible.  Being able to do multiple strict chinups but unable to hang from one hand, it's not great, ya know?

Coach Sommer

In my opinion, the two best things you can do at this age for your daughter are swimming classes and simply letting her play at a playground at a regular basis.

- I would place the swimming above even gymnastics at your daughters age.  The immediacy of swimming is perfect for young ones; learning breath control, the constant focus on "now", developing an adventurous spirit, instantaneous reward of coordinated movement (they learn very quickly to do it correctly or they sink!)

- French style supervision at the playground is best.  Just let her explore and work out things on her own at her own pace.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

Dmitry Belitsky

Haha! My doughter is 6 years old, and we visiting swimming classes 3 times per week and she is training with me and my wife through the F1 program! She having fun for sure, and F1 is improving her physical abilities and coordination significantly. Thanks Coach.

• Upvote 1

Karl Kallio

My experience comes with kids that are a bit older, but looking at what works and doesn't to produce a healthy/happy/strong/co-ordinated/mobile child, here's what I'd recommend:

1)  Setting a good example yourself.  Don't hide away when you do your exercise.

2)  Providing a space to play in (go to the playground, monkey bars in the back yard, carpet or rubber matting in the playroom, weekend trips to the beach/lake, walk to school etc.) 

3)  Establishing a good attitude, as in making sure that what ever swimming or kinder gym class you use is fun, positive and encourages the kids to challenge themselves.  Try to teach safety behaviour not fear, and to frame unsuccessful tries as "you haven't got it yet" instead of failure.

4)  If you have to give a gift of an electronic device try to have it be a music/video thingy not a game thingy

Little kids do well with play and copy-cat like activities like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M14od3mMPfI.

Oh and if you go with swimming lessons: as soon as your daughter masters blowing bubbles and getting her face wet start dropping things in the water for her to get off the bottom.  Start with large brightly coloured toys in shallow water and get smaller/deeper/heavier when it looks easy.  It teaches body awareness as well as swimming skills. 

(and once she can find a glass marble in the deep end you put her in water wings or a floaty belt and get her to swim down against resistance:) )

Daniel Burnham

Ugh..  More photos with people working out with their kids.  As if the movements they are doing isn't dangerous enough, they include kids.  This one isnt bad and is kinda funny but the guy who o-lifts with his kid strapped to his chest ought to be arrested.

Julien Le Nestour

Monkey bars.  I'm definitely not qualified to advise you on this subject, but it seems to be the one aspect of fitness that a normal kid playing around might not get.  

That's a good one actually, as it lacks at our "main" playground. We try to stop by at the pull-up bars after, but obviously, it's way less fun and she moves to something else pretty quickly. I'll try and find a playground with good monkey bars :-)

In my opinion, the two best things you can do at this age for your daughter are swimming classes and simply letting her play at a playground at a regular basis.

- I would place the swimming above even gymnastics at your daughters age.  The immediacy of swimming is perfect for young ones; learning breath control, the constant focus on "now", developing an adventurous spirit, instantaneous reward of coordinated movement (they learn very quickly to do it correctly or they sink!)

- French style supervision at the playground is best.  Just let her explore and work out things on her own at her own pace.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

French style supervision is not an issue here ;-) Swimming classes, we still need to wait for a slot on the week-end to free itself up :-( Doesn't prevent us to go to the pool, but it's surely not the same as good classes... Seems like in Australia, many, many households have a stay-at-home parent, and so many activities are scheduled for the work week days :-(

Many thanks for your reply Coach!

My experience comes with kids that are a bit older, but looking at what works and doesn't to produce a healthy/happy/strong/co-ordinated/mobile child, here's what I'd recommend:

1)  Setting a good example yourself.  Don't hide away when you do your exercise.

Ah! We certainly don't, and even if we wanted to, we don't have the space to hide ;-) Rings are hung under our stairs in our living room, etc... What's funny is that when she was only a baby, like from 3-4 months, she would laugh madly when seeing me do squats, push-ups or burpees. Now, she loves seeing me work out at the beginning of a session, but is a bit afraid at the end when I need to make big efforts. She seems to think I'm suffering (which is true in a way!) a bit. That's only in passing seems I'm laughing with her at the first chance to dissipate this idea, but still ;-)

2)  Providing a space to play in (go to the playground, monkey bars in the back yard, carpet or rubber matting in the playroom, weekend trips to the beach/lake, walk to school etc.) 

I have to say Sydney is an ideal city for this, and we're really glad to be living here now :-)

3)  Establishing a good attitude, as in making sure that what ever swimming or kinder gym class you use is fun, positive and encourages the kids to challenge themselves.  Try to teach safety behaviour not fear, and to frame unsuccessful tries as "you haven't got it yet" instead of failure.

Thanks for the good advice!

4)  If you have to give a gift of an electronic device try to have it be a music/video thingy not a game thingy

I have to say an iPad or equivalent really is a wonder in my opinion. Expensive yes, but it does so much that you virtually don't need another electronic toy, though it won't replace wooden toys, and other physical toys, etc... Right now, she is using our own, and has her own screen with the apps we put on for her, and we play videos or music on it. We select videos and music to choose from but let her see what she wants. Right now, she loves watching the incredible Danny Macaskill on his bike:

and for the past 4 months, she's seen maybe fifty times this concert by Bobby McFerrin and knows by heart all the clapping moments, etc... Warning, seriously good and surreal music, the "Bobby" part starting after 2:15: 

Little kids do well with play and copy-cat like activities like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M14od3mMPfI.

Oh and if you go with swimming lessons: as soon as your daughter masters blowing bubbles and getting her face wet start dropping things in the water for her to get off the bottom.  Start with large brightly coloured toys in shallow water and get smaller/deeper/heavier when it looks easy.  It teaches body awareness as well as swimming skills. 

(and once she can find a glass marble in the deep end you put her in water wings or a floaty belt and get her to swim down against resistance:) )

Great advice, many thanks!

In case there are no specific classes available, make your own!

Ah, I wish I could! I wouldn't presume being remotely able though!

http://gymsmarts.com/shop/i-can-tumble/

Honestly, show her how to do those basic movements like squatting and lunging.

That video may be alright. Others to think of would be yoga tapes. I think I have seen yoga for children on public access tv on cable before.

Animal walks are another good start besides monkey bars to hang on. Let her hang on the rings and hold her knees up or swing. Often in toddler classes we would do stuff like that. Mostly it's exploratory and the gym is just a playground to explore.