Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New at GB forum!

Javier Cobos

Javier Cobos

Hi, 

My name is Javier and I'm from Spain. I'm 185cm (6 ft) and 85 Kg (176 lb). I have been training at gyms for 4 years, just for fitness. Now, I am practicing crossfit for just 10 months. I am really passionate with crossfit, but I really have problems with some gymnastics skills. That's what I decided to register myself in this forum.

I have BtGB book, but I'm looking forward about get the Foundation 1 or the Handstand 1 course. To be honest, I'm am really thinking about the handstand 1, because I always wanted to do free handstands, handstands walks, handstands push ups...

It is necessary to say that I have some mobility problem in my shoulders, but they are improving little by little. 

So that, I have some questions:

- Would you recommend me the F1 or the H1? Maybe both?

- Are both courses compatibles with 4 crossfit workout days?

- How much time takes any F1 or H1 workout?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Regards from Spain,

Soboc

Klaudius Petrulis

Hello and welcome!

-I would personally recommend both, but if you had to go with one, I would say F1 is an amazing place to start.

-About crossfit, I don't like it. It's too much of everything thrown into a big blender to be done at maximum intensity. The courses are pretty much compatible with any training schedule, so the short answer is yes. Am I biased against crossfit? Yes. I did it for a while and it was fun, but the long term consequences are not. I like my joints and want to keep them healthy as long as possible! :)

-It depends what level you're at, but in the beginning it takes less than 20 minutes for F1. HS is probably even less, but I haven't incorporated it yet.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

Crossfit isnt bad if you have good coaches.  There are several guys who have attended GB seminars and run crossfit gyms.  They focus on mobility and a good structure of progressions.  Just don't be pressured in trying to reach for skills you cant accomplish without getting hurt.  This is not being a wimp it is being smart.  I see a lot of dares and challenges it is best to ignore them.  

F1 would complement crossfit well in fact.  Some of the better crossfit athletes have started including a basic strength session before they do their metcon or WOD.  I think this is a pretty good strategy.  Just be careful not to overload and don't skip mobility. Using this strategy you can become stronger and get your Fran time down :).  Also it is pretty cool to apply the progressions to the crossfit workouts.  I believe this is something that is undervalued and maybe even frowned upon in the crossfit gyms but I think you'll find it will help prevent injury while getting the training effect you want.  As well as that feeling that anerobic endurance gives you.

• Upvote 1

Javier Cobos

Thank you very much guys, you really helped me.

I am going to get the F1 right now!  I hope everything will work fine!

Thank you again!

Soboc

• Upvote 2

Joshua Naterman

If you really want an excellent handstand guide, try to pick up H1 as soon as you are able.

With F1 and H1, you'll be unstoppable.

• Upvote 1

Klaudius Petrulis

If you really want an excellent handstand guide, try to pick up H1 as soon as you are able.

With F1 and H1 you'll be unstoppable.

I just tried H1 today and I concur. The joint work alone is worth the price of admission.

ADRIANO FLORES CANO

Welcome Javier,

To answer to your questions:

1) F1 it is a very good place to start (or re-start) and would be the first one that I can recommend you, but if you want to be, like Joshua says, unstoppable, you've to get both. H1, like Coach said one day, is beautiful.

2) Yes, they are completely compatible, because

3) F1 takes 40-45m more or less, depend of the day and your exercises, sometimes more, sometimes less; with H1 takes 80-90minutes to me, but I'm to slow so... :D

And your shoulders issues will be fixed with H1 and F1!

También soy de España compañero :D

Un placer tenerte por aquí.

Un abrazo.

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) HS1 takes 80-90minutes to me, but I'm to slow so.

eh? Really?

What have I missed? I found H1 to take like 20 min, starting at level 1, week 1 on all exercises...

eh? Really?

What have I missed? I found H1 to take like 20 min, starting at level 1, week 1 on all exercises...

I think Adriano Flo meant that doing F1 AND H1 takes him 80mins. Day 1 starting from the bottom too me 30 mins last night but I can see how if you rested and had to look up progressions it could take longer. That'll speed things up when you get used top the routine.

ADRIANO FLORES CANO

Excuse me, maybe was a mistake due to language or expression.

Yes, it takes to me both 80-90m, but mainly because Finnbar says, watching videos several times to see form (wrist section above all), storing them on my mind to can working out without computer, etc etc. First days.

• Upvote 1