Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

straddle width for a straddle L?

Chris H Laing

Chris H Laing

When working the straddle L, does it matter how narrow or wide your straddle is?

I find I can hold a full straddle L on parallettes when I use a narrow straddle, but I have to put the parallettes closer together than normal (for things like hspu's l-sits, tuck planches,) and that I can only hold a low straddle l when I have my parallettes at regular distance from eachother and have to do my straddle wider.

I think its an issue of hip flexibility, and because the straddle is pretty much the limits of my flexibilty, it causes kinda bad hip cramps.

I'm just wondering which straddle L, wide or narrow straddle, I should be working on for better results.

matthew.percussion

It seems to me that the farther your hand go apart the harder it is to keep your feet up. If my hands are within 6 inches of each other I can do a straddle L quite easily. But, the farther apart your hands are the better active flexibility you need in your straddle.

I can only do a straddle L with hands shoulder width apart(with good technique) for a second or two.

Coach Sommer

Initially you may need to perform your straddle L variations with your hands fairly close together. However, as your strength improves every effort should be made to move the hands out to shoulder width as soon as possible, as this is the position from which all of your press handstand and press to planche variations will occur.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Chris H Laing

Thanks coach! I'll just suck it up and work on low straddles for now, and work on my flexibility in the straddle. Thanks again.

• 4 months later...

I need help in increasing the width of my straddle. Any recommendations for adding strength and flexibility?

I need help in increasing the width of my straddle. Any recommendations for adding strength and flexibility?

Stretch your middle splits, do active straddle flexibility/strength work.

Braindx:

I'm glad you replied because I was trying to get your specific recommendations similar to your active pike compression exercise from another post.

I don't have middle splits; I don't even have a ninety degree straddle. And I can't find any active strength/flex exercises for a straddle.

Also, for your pike compression (or any active flexibility exercise) - is that a 3x a week deal or 3x a day?

I really would appreciate your help here.

Thanks

Do active flexibility work.... this is pike. You can do it in straddle just put your hands out in the middle increasing the difficulty as needed by moving hands further out.

1. Stretch your hamstrings for 30s

2. Arms straight, hands by your knees.

3. Pull your knees up to your face straining your abs as hard as possible.

4. Hold 10s. If you feel lots of cramping you're doing it right.

5. Repeat 1-4 about 5 times.

If you can get your knees to you face for most of the sets, move your hands closer to your toes.

Strongly recommend doing this everyday for multiple times a day if possible. The more you do it, the better it is.

Work your splits as well multiple times a day if possible if you're lacking straddle flexibility for straddle-L.

When I do specific abs work all I do is active compression... don't really bother with any other abs training anymore as it's not very useful (then again my abs aren't the strong.. but they're useful for 30+ back tucks and front levers and stuff so adequate for me).