Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Forearm supination

Edgaron

I can barely get my forearm to supinate fully when the arm is in a downwards position and the higher I raise it, the less I'm able supinate it.

Obviously this creates problems with chinups and whatever other underhand/supinated grip exercises, including ground exercises with fingers backward positions.

What can I do to improve my mobility in this aspect? I can't really comfortably dead hang in even close grip chinup position.

FREDERIC DUPONT

I had the exact same problem 9 months ago; chin dead hangs were tearing my forearms muscles off the bones (or so it felt), unreasonably torquing my wrists, and placing my shoulders in extremely uncomfortable position.

Every single training session, I've been doing 4 x pronated dead hangs (2 with close grip, and 2 with wide grip), and 3 supinated dead hangs with feet assistance (wide grip)...

For months, there was little progress in the supinated dead hang; I just kept at it nonetheless... then I was able to reduce feet assistance and increase the times a little bit... I had shoulder surgery (supraspinatus tendon repair) last December, so I had to lay off for 7 weeks, but I restarted prudently 4 weeks ago...

For the first time this week, I was able to hang 1x36s in a supinated grip without assistance.

There is no immediate payoff, but you'll get there... just be conservative and resolutely consistent in your efforts so you don't injure yourself.

• Upvote 1

Yeah my case is pretty much the same.

Also, if I try to rotate the forearms as much as possible (which isn't much when hanging), I can feel it strongly in my lats. Is that just muscle activation or possibly stiff lats?