Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

developing adequate handstand line

Keilani Gutierrez

Keilani Gutierrez

I noticed my handstand line was horrible when I started training since October '12 and since I've been digesting the most I can from the Handstand Forum, i need a bit of advice on what an adequate handstand line is before investing a substantial amount of time in them. I'll be purchasing H1 but in the mean time, i'll just be doing body line drills and if i can work them in Wall HS efficiently or wall HeS, then im good with that

where im at

this is what i've been doing:

Strength:
Foundation 1 WOD5x/week

Mobility to address lack there of:
proper form in Hip flexor stretch 3x30sec each side with 5 dynamic leg lifts(been upto this for the past two days) 
Wall extensions(everyday before and after workout) 1x10
Shoulder dislocates(pull up and dorsal grip)1x10 each before and after each workout

what should I focus on? what to forget about? any help is appreciated!

edit: I can provide a wall HS video of my current form, later after martial art practice to show how my form is

Keilani Gutierrez

and how exactly do you go about working on improving posterior tilt? 

edit: youtubes in the meantime

Keilani Gutierrez

That is part of the goal of training hollow body holds.

funny you should mention that. because when I engage in a full hollow body position, I try to bring my legs down as much as i can to the floor and they either want to snap back up or my lower back fights me for an arch.

Alessandro Mainente

first thing i can see is that your lats are very very tight. consider that in your position my arms are in contact with floor, from shoulders to hands without arching the lower back. probably the internal rotation need to be stretched a lot in your case. the pelvic tilt and this factor are related in the sense that when the anterior muscles cannot be elongated more then a threshold the posterior part of the body compensate squeezing the muscles in order to make the elongation on the antagonist muscles better. for different reason if your hips flexor are to much tight they force the upper body to be lifted up.

how is your floor bridge?

Keilani Gutierrez

The posterior tilt is critical to your hollows. If you are not able to get it under control, you will not be able to move on to rocking hollows. You will lack a smooth rock. Tighten your glues. That helps achieve the tilt you want until you can figure out how to do so without over tightening the body by adding unnecessary stress. Being relaxed but tight enough to keep the body stacked and locked as one unit takes time to learn. This will have to be something you figure out on your own to know what that position feels like.

I can get the tilt under control, it's when I bring the legs down that my legs want to either snap up a few degrees(my feet probably get around my knees high) or my back wants to arch. so what you're telling me i should focus on is when im in a Hollow Hold is to engage my glutes? when I do it like that, I don't get such a smooth roll and need to raise my legs substantially higher. the culprit in this can be(from what i'm getting here is): weak glutes, tight hip flexors?

first thing i can see is that your lats are very very tight. consider that in your position my arms are in contact with floor, from shoulders to hands without arching the lower back. probably the internal rotation need to be stretched a lot in your case. the pelvic tilt and this factor are related in the sense that when the anterior muscles cannot be elongated more then a threshold the posterior part of the body compensate squeezing the muscles in order to make the elongation on the antagonist muscles better. for different reason if your hips flexor are to much tight they force the upper body to be lifted up.

how is your floor bridge?

my floor bridge is terrible. I lack the flexibility in my wrists, shoulders, spine, hip flexors to do one properly. thank goodness that F1 works on that with the F1 iM. I need to work on my wrist flexibility, so i guess its about time i go see a few of Kit's videos and take some notes. what I don't know is whether to do it after F1 or during the warm up or both to speed the process up by getting in more volume. thoughts?